Question 8th gen motherboard with 9th gen cpu, please help

manas ranjan

Reputable
Nov 23, 2014
hello guys,
i recently bought a gigabyte b360 aorus gaming 3 wifi motherboard and intel i5 9400f. the mother board current bios is f5. i installed the cpu,gpu and the ram and it posted to the bios screen.so can i install windows now or i have to update the bios with an 8th gen cpu? can i update the latest bios with the i5 9400f cpu on it using q-flash ?will it create any problem or work fine? here is the official link for my motherboard
https://www.gigabyte.com/in/Motherboard/B360-AORUS-GAMING-3-WIFI-rev-10#kf

Awaiting your quick respose.Thank you

May 25, 2019
can i update the bios with the 9th gen cpu on it?
I wouldn't. I've seen many motherboards bricked that way. (not your specific cpu/MB combo but same situation.)
For the same reason I would not use 64 bit windows to do the updating (if your BIOS doesn't have a usb based or dos based updater) For the CPU issue just get a really cheap CPU of the previous generation lowest power is fine as its only to update the BIOS
For the OS you can (with network disconnected) get a small HDD and put the beta version of 32 bit windows (free trial) on it. just use that to update BIOS then switch back to your normal OS harddrive or SSD and install the 9th generation CPU
(Windoos based flashing is dodgy at best so use USB based flashing or DOS based flashing if at all possible)