8th generation or 7 generation ?!

alaasamy2050

Prominent
Dec 12, 2017
Hello guys i'm building a pc and have to decide between two choices,
first : 7th generation i5-7600k and motherboard msi B250 gaming
second: 8th generation i5-8400 and motherboard Z370 A pro
both have the nearly same price in my country (second is just 10$high)
what should i buy ?!
gpu will be 1060 3gb, with ram 16 and power supply 500w

Solution
i5-8400 has a base clock of 2.8 GHz, an all core boost of 3.8 GHz (this is the effective base clock figure that counts) and a single core boost of 4 GHz. This compares reasonably well to the i5-8600K which has a base clock of 3.6 GHz, all core boost of 4.1 GHz and a single core boost of 4.3 GHz. The i5-8400 also features 9MB of L3 cache and an energy-thrifty TDP of 65W...These are the core specs and with any motherboard that has Multi-core enhancement, the 8400 will probably run at 4GHZ on all cores...still it is a great 6 core processor versus the i5-7600K 4 core which is also a great processor...It is just the upgrade path on the 8400 will be better in the long run, especially if you want to move to the 8700K with 6 core 12 threads at...

alaasamy2050

Prominent
Dec 12, 2017

but frequency difference ?! one has 2.4 and the another 3.8 ?! is that has a big difference in performance or same ?!

Yes it is. But it is best to compare turbo frequency, one core. i5-8400 is 4.0Ghz and 7600k is 4.2GHz. With that said we now need to look at cores. the 8400 has 6 cores compared to the 4 in 7600k. And in testing this makes the i5-8400 better.

It seems like a big difference but if I recall correctly the 8400 boosts up till 3.8 or so. It is also really really powerful, and will provide the path for future upgrades.

i5-8400 has a base clock of 2.8 GHz, an all core boost of 3.8 GHz (this is the effective base clock figure that counts) and a single core boost of 4 GHz. This compares reasonably well to the i5-8600K which has a base clock of 3.6 GHz, all core boost of 4.1 GHz and a single core boost of 4.3 GHz. The i5-8400 also features 9MB of L3 cache and an energy-thrifty TDP of 65W...These are the core specs and with any motherboard that has Multi-core enhancement, the 8400 will probably run at 4GHZ on all cores...still it is a great 6 core processor versus the i5-7600K 4 core which is also a great processor...It is just the upgrade path on the 8400 will be better in the long run, especially if you want to move to the 8700K with 6 core 12 threads at 5Ghz with an overclock in the future.

Solution
There are zero guarantees that there will be ANY upgrade path at all. SO far, the last three gens have all required new motherboards. I see no reason to believe this gen will be any different and Intel has certainly not said anything to the contrary.

Regardless, if you are upgrading NOW and are going with Intel, there is no sensible option that includes anything except a Coffee lake CPU due to the simple fact that it outperforms anything else out there core for core and clock for clock. Simple as that.

Hi darkbreeze, I have to disagree, there is an upgrade path....The 8400 is the starting point and he can upgrade to the 8600K, the 8700 and the 8700K...that is a valid upgrade path without resorting to a new motherboard...

Your point on the Coffe Lake outperforming core for core, clock for clock though is pretty much correct...for gaming and some other use cases...

That is not an upgrade path, or at the least, a very poor one, since none of those CPUs show much in the way of a performance increase over the 8400. CERTAINLY not enough to turn around and spend another 400 bucks later for a CPU that might net you, maybe, an overall 5% average performance increase in applications, most of them anyway, and practically zero gaming performance difference.

That's more like a side grade than an upgrade. Sure, in VERY optimized game or application source code, you might see some larger differences when those extra threads are used, but that is STILL to this day vastly outnumbered by the number of games and applications that do not, or at least not beyond the six cores it already has anyhow.

Sure, there IS someplace to go from where it IS, but the distance is certainly not worth the cost of the journey. Usually when we talk about an upgrade path that is within the same generation, we are talking about like from a Pentium or i3 up to an i5 or i7, not from one six core to another six core that happens to have a few hyperthreads tacked on. Factually, I've not seen ANY really consistent evidence that more than six cores shows any benefit in ANY gaming benchmark aside from ashes and civilization. Might be a few small differences here and there but mostly, there's not. So, I guess it's a matter of what you feel your four hundred bucks ought to buy you later.

My only point is that there is an upgrade path, regardless of the value or the pro's and con's of said upgrade. Bottom line you can upgrade from the 8400 to the 8600 to the 8700 and finally to the 8700K...Starting with a sentence 'that is not an upgrade path' and then qualifing it does not make it anything other than what it is...Some people also do sell there CPU's (I have before upgrading)...it's not like you just throw your cpu away and buy a new 8700K..

LOL, being a moderator has zero to do with any opinion or disagreement. I am the same as you except, I actually have to follow the rules and help keep things flowing according to the forum guidelines. Other than that, no difference. No special treatment or anything else.

Just don't get on my bad side though. Nah, just kidding.