8x AGP card in 4x AGP MB

Hi,

I know its possible (to put a 8x AGP gfx card in a 4x AGP motherboard) but
would I be right thinking I'll might as well buy the cheapest graphics card
that has all the features I want then buying a higher spec card because it
wont run much faster.

I'm thinking of buying a XFX Geforce Fx5200 AGP8x 128MB DDR DVI TV-Out
Retail Box
http://www.xfxforce.com/product_view.php?sku=PVT34KNA
from ebuyer (UK):
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=54837
(sorry about the long urls)

And hooking up two monitors to it (17in and 15in).

Plus would the 256mb version give me much benefit? - would games run that
much better? considering my system isn't that good anyway.

My PC is:
Gigabyte 7ZXE (KT133) motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 1700+ / 1.47 GHz processor
512MB memory

Thanks a lot for any feedback,

Alan.

Slug

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 17:27:12 +0100, "DigiAl" <fake@fake.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I know its possible (to put a 8x AGP gfx card in a 4x AGP motherboard) but
>would I be right thinking I'll might as well buy the cheapest graphics card
>that has all the features I want then buying a higher spec card because it
>wont run much faster.

No, it will still run just about as fast as it would on an 8X agp mb.

>I'm thinking of buying a XFX Geforce Fx5200 AGP8x 128MB DDR DVI TV-Out
>Retail Box

You would be better off looking for a Geforce4 Ti4200 128mb, faster
and cheap.

"DigiAl" <fake@fake.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I know its possible (to put a 8x AGP gfx card in a 4x AGP motherboard) but
>would I be right thinking I'll might as well buy the cheapest graphics card
>that has all the features I want then buying a higher spec card because it
>wont run much faster.

Clueless. The AGP speed is unimportant from a performance standpoint.

"chrisv" <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> "DigiAl" <fake@fake.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I know its possible (to put a 8x AGP gfx card in a 4x AGP motherboard)
but
> >would I be right thinking I'll might as well buy the cheapest graphics
card
> >that has all the features I want then buying a higher spec card because
it
> >wont run much faster.
>
> Clueless. The AGP speed is unimportant from a performance standpoint.

I agree :) (about that subject) so can you explain what benefits the
bandwidth has then to the performance then, pls.

My guess and two cents.
The increase in AGP speed really benefits the more low end motherboard with
built in graphics.
Motherboards with built in graphics are dependent on main memory.
So the faster the AGP, the faster the built in graphics processor can access
memory.