8X APG not working

I have an 8X AGP motherboard, and radeon 9600xt which is 8x AGP.
Problem is that what ever I do I cant get my system to work in 8X. I
have checked my bios and *X is enabled, howere in ati control panel
(smartgart) agp is listed as off, I have tested my machine performance
with 3dmark05 and the score that I get compares to similar processor
and same graphics card to me running at 4x agp. Also my analyis for
3dmark05 tells me that i have only got 4x enabled. I have tried
everything, engineer has even changed my grpahics card, but my machine
is still telling me that it is only 4x agp. Has anyone any experience
of this, is it possible that the problem is with my motherbaord? Any
suggestions on how I could sort it out, I want to play half life 2 to
best of my machine ability

Many thanks

homer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Did you load the motherboard drivers from the CD that enables the 8x AGP?

Homer

"shmortz" <jamie.morton@rocketmail.com> wrote in message
>I have an 8X AGP motherboard, and radeon 9600xt which is 8x AGP.
> Problem is that what ever I do I cant get my system to work in 8X. I
> have checked my bios and *X is enabled, howere in ati control panel
> (smartgart) agp is listed as off, I have tested my machine performance
> with 3dmark05 and the score that I get compares to similar processor
> and same graphics card to me running at 4x agp. Also my analyis for
> 3dmark05 tells me that i have only got 4x enabled. I have tried
> everything, engineer has even changed my grpahics card, but my machine
> is still telling me that it is only 4x agp. Has anyone any experience
> of this, is it possible that the problem is with my motherbaord? Any
> suggestions on how I could sort it out, I want to play half life 2 to
> best of my machine ability
>
> Many thanks

Thanks Paul

Motherboard is Leadteck (WinFAst) K7 NCR18.
1 and 2 above done and OK - running DirectX 9c
I am not seeing an AGP bridge in the device manager, I see two PCI to
PCI bridges.
I have loaded chipset from the disk that came with my motherboard, that
has not helped, have also downloaded latest version of chipset drivers
form manufacturers website and run that - again it has not helped.
I have asked support from the manufactures and they just tell me to
laod the AGP Port drivers, which I assume is what the two actions above
should have achieved.
I am running out of options, could it be that my motherboard is at
fault?
Many thanks for the comprehensive help
Jamie

Dino

I assume this is an Nvidia chipset?..if so you could try Nvidia's website
for the unified driver package..I had issues on my A7N8X board with graphics
and mem controllers...turned out that I had a corrupt install of XP...you
may be looking at that..

Paul

Splendid

In article <1102505889.536329.143140@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
jamie.morton@rocketmail.com wrote:

> Thanks Paul
>
> Motherboard is Leadteck (WinFAst) K7 NCR18.
> 1 and 2 above done and OK - running DirectX 9c
> I am not seeing an AGP bridge in the device manager, I see two PCI to
> PCI bridges.
> I have loaded chipset from the disk that came with my motherboard, that
> has not helped, have also downloaded latest version of chipset drivers
> form manufacturers website and run that - again it has not helped.
> I have asked support from the manufactures and they just tell me to
> laod the AGP Port drivers, which I assume is what the two actions above
> should have achieved.
> I am running out of options, could it be that my motherboard is at
> fault?
> Many thanks for the comprehensive help
> Jamie

I have an A7N8X-E Nforce2 with MCP-T Southbridge, and Device Manager
shows the following for "System Devices"

ACPI Fixed Feature Button
Direct memory access controller
ISA/PNP Read Data Port
Logical Disk Manager
Microcode Update Device
Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
Motherboard resource (three lines the same)
Numeric data processor
NVIDIA nForce PCI System Management
NVIDIA nForce2 AGP Host to PCI Bridge <------------------- ???
NVIDIA nForce2 Memory Controller (four lines the same)
NVIDIA nfoce2 Ultra 400 Memory Controller
Parallel Class Enumerator
PCI bus
PCI standard host CPU bridge
PCI standard ISA bridge
PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator
Programmable interrupt controller
System board
System CMOS/real time clock
System speaker
System timer

The AGP Host device above, has the following drivers:

PCI bus 0, device 30, function 0

Date 10/29/2003
Version 3.7.7.0
system32/DRIVERS/nv_agp.SYS 4.12.01.0377
system32/NVCOG.DLL 1.0.0.7

The driver versions I'm using for the chipset are 4.27
You can download a version for your OS here.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_winxp_4.27
http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_win9x_4.27

Make sure there is no BIOS setting which is disabling AGP,
before you install them.

You might try going to Add/Remove Program and remove the
existing Nvidia drivers, before installing the new ones.
As I've never tried updating the drivers on this machine,
I don't really know what is the recommended practice for
a driver update.

On an Intel board, the Intel provided drivers are available
as INF files. If you could get your hands on a .INF, you
could just update the AGP device above, without having to
install an all-in-one.

If I look in C:\Windows\INF , there is an oem21.inf file
and the description at the top of the file is "nv_agp.inf".

One of these devices in the INF would correspond to the AGP
device in Device Manager. The reason there are four of
them, is this .inf file is usable on more than one kind of
Nvidia chipset. I'm not sure which one corresponds to my
Northbridge's AGP slot.

[NVIDIA_AGP]
%PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_01B7.DeviceDesc%=NVIDIAAGP_Install,PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_01B7
%PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_01E8.DeviceDesc%=NVIDIAAGP_Install,PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_01E8
%PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00D2.DeviceDesc%=NVIDIAAGP_Install,PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00D2
%PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00E2.DeviceDesc%=NVIDIAAGP_Install,PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00E2

So, start with a driver update, and see if you end up with an
nv_agp.sys driver on your system.

Another source of info, is the forums of nforcershq.com .
As there have been more than just a few issues with Nforce2,
this is where I go to get fixes for stuff:

http://nforcershq.com/forum/search.php

In "search query", enter text in the upper of the two boxes,
then click the "search for all terms" button, for best results.

HTH,
Paul

"shmortz" <jamie.morton@rocketmail.com> wrote in message
>I have an 8X AGP motherboard, and radeon 9600xt

You have to remove everything about any previous graphics cards that might
have been installed on that motherboard. Radeons are very, very sensitive
about that.