honsbeek2

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2005
Hello,

I have a LG GSA 4082B , which is capable of burning DVD-R's at the maximum speed of 8x speed. I got myself some brand new 8x DVD-R dvd's today and wanted to burn some data...

I used Nero v6.3.1.25. HOWEVER when ready to burn the dics I only get 4x speed as maximum burn speed... WHY is this???

Is my DVD BURNER defect... All of the Disc from the 50 DVD-R pack are 8x speed but nero reads them as 4x... Have I been scamed again ... I have noticed this before when burning 4x speed and only getting 2.4 speed ...

PLEASE PLEASE help

thank you

Ralph

Pentium 4 3.0E (Prescot) 1MB L2
Asus P4P800SE
Samsung DDR (PC 3200) x 2EA in Dual Slots
Radeon 7500 64MB
LG DVDRAM GSA-4082B (DVD Burner)
LG RW/DVD GCC-4521B (Combo)

vagabond

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
This is an excerpt from this <A HREF="http://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=226&page=Performance" target="_new">review</A> of your DVD burner.

"When writing to DVD+R and DVD-R media at 8x, the GSA-4082B uses Z-CLV, or Zone CLV. By looking at the screenshots above, you can see that LG's new drive starts writing at 4x and jumps to 6x at the 0.25GB mark. It writes at this speed until about the 2.35GB mark. When it reaches this point, the GSA-4082B's writing speed increases to 8x and stays there until the end of the session."

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.aspx?member=120067" target="_new">My System</A>

sobelizard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
System stability will have an affect on how fast your discs get burned. Would you rather write at 8x and have errors or 4x and have a error-free disc?

<b><i>Powered by <font color=blue>V</font color=blue><font color=purple>E</font color=purple><font color=red>R</font color=red><font color=purple>T</font color=purple><font color=blue>O</font color=blue></b>
Fueled by <b><font color=blue>CL-</font color=blue><font color=red>ONE</font color=red></b>

Patchworkblue

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2003
I see your point, sobe, but I think that he feels the same way I do - if he paid for 8x, then he wants 8x with no errors.
I have a new dvd writer that I adore - it makes burning DVDs great, and it's dual layer. However, it was advertised as having a CD-R speed of 24x, but this drive only burns CDs at 16x. I bought it for dvd burning, and I don't burn a lot of CDs anymore, but I paid for a product that burns CDs at 24x, and received a product that only burns them at 16x. Aggravating.

Women--can't live with them, can't have heterosexual same-species intercourse without them.

sobelizard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Keep in mind that's a MAX write speed, not guarranteed 100% of the time speed. Yeah, it's hella annoying to not burn at the glitzy advertised MAX speed, but I'll take error-free at a reduced speed, as long as it's not below half the rated MAX speed.

<b><i>Powered by <font color=blue>V</font color=blue><font color=purple>E</font color=purple><font color=red>R</font color=red><font color=purple>T</font color=purple><font color=blue>O</font color=blue></b>
Fueled by <b><font color=blue>CL-</font color=blue><font color=red>ONE</font color=red></b>

lonelypauly

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
Ya gotta have some sick hardware to burn at full tilt and not make a coaster. I can't get passed 4x either, but I don't care as long as they work.

<b><font color=blue>Athlon64 3200+ Winchester/MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI/MSI 6800 Ultra/1 GB Kingston HyperX/74GB WD Raptor/600Watt Enermax</b></font color=blue>

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
I had a NEC 3510 and was able to burn Verbatim +R (from Sam's) at 8X, and actually that same media claims in the package that it's able to burn at 12X with compatible hardware

Pata

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2001
You might have to go to the LG website and download a FLASH for the BIOS. I had a similar problem with my GSA-4120 and went to the website (which seems to only work with ie and not firefox) and found a flash download with instructions. It said to make the DVD burner your primary or master and your CD RW the secondary or slave. So I downloaded the fash, switched the drives , then put in the flash. it now recognizes the whatever times blank DVDs I insert. try that. Be sure to read the instructions one word at a time.

<b>
<font color=red> If Music be the Food of Souls,</font color=red>
<i><font color=purple> Then Play On............ </b></i>
</font color=purple>

TRENDING THREADS