[SOLVED] 9.5mm optical drive in 12.7mm optiplex slot?

uria702

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
My optiplex 3010 sff needs a replacement optical drive. Will a 9.5mm blu ray drive fit in the 12.7mm OEM caddy? a 12.7mm adapter for the front is included with the drive. Below is a shot. Thanks.

IMG-0767.jpg

Solution
My iMac 21.5 uses a 12.7mm optical drive. I was able to use a 9.5mm optical bay adapter for an SSD. However, there was a slight difference in screw placement. It worked but I had to angle the screws slightly. As I recall the screws were slightly closer to the overhang of the optical drive.

Then again it was some cheap no name knockoff of the Optibay I bought on eBay. It could have just be lazy manufacturing.
My iMac 21.5 uses a 12.7mm optical drive. I was able to use a 9.5mm optical bay adapter for an SSD. However, there was a slight difference in screw placement. It worked but I had to angle the screws slightly. As I recall the screws were slightly closer to the overhang of the optical drive.

Then again it was some cheap no name knockoff of the Optibay I bought on eBay. It could have just be lazy manufacturing.

Solution

uria702

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008

Thanks for the reply. It's good to know I have that option. Dell useless a screwless design, but I'm aware I may need to put in screws to align the thinner drive properly within in the caddy. I'll try using the OEM caddy first but it's good to know there is a cheap adapter available.

TRENDING THREADS