austinritchie8

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019
Hello so I am getting the Thermaltake Core P8 Case soon and if you have seen it you can fit a good amount of fans so I said why not and bought 3 packs of 3 ARGB Thermaltake Fans (Link Below)
I have a z390 GODLIKE motherboard which has 10 fan connectors all which should be DC/PWM. I was wondering if everything would go smoothly because I don't know the voltage of each fan header on mobo and do not want my fans to die.
On the website it says 12v and 5v. The fans I bought do not come with a controller where I can add them all to one place just a simple one as you can see in the pictures.

Link to fans I bought: https://www.thermaltakeusa.com/pure-14-argb-sync-radiator-fan-tt-premium-edition-3-fan-pack.html

Main question is do you think I could use all fans through the mobo connectors as long as I make sure in bios to set them all to pwm?

Solution
You can do everything you want using only the features of your mobo plus a couple of simple Splitters. First, note that each of those nine fans has TWO cables from it. One cable is for the fan motor and ends in a common female fan connector with 4 holes. These are all 4-pin PWM type fans. The other is for the lights in the frame and ends in a wider female connector with 3 holes (looks like it had 4 holes with one blocked off). We'll deal with these separately.

You will have eight mobo SYS_FAN headers suited for use for case ventilation fans because their speed control actions are based on a temperature sensor on the mobo. The CPU_FAN1 header is to be used solely for the CPU cooling system and its actions are based on a different temp...
Sep 27, 2020
The commander pro is amazing. You'd have to use iCUE software to control the fans, and another to control thermaltakes rgb (I'm assuming), but with the commander pro you get ports for 6 fans, and you can add splitters to those, doubling the amount. It also comes with 2 led channels to add something like an rgb strip or an led rgb hub.

I use QL120mm fans in my build (they have argb on both sides) and the 3 packs come with led rgb hubs. You'd need to buy the commander pro seperately, but I use 9 fans as well. So I bought 3 packs of QL120mm fans, and I used 1 of the hubs that came in the packs and 1 commander pro (sold seperately). If you went this route, you would just need some splitters to add 3 more fans (I have 6 in the commander and my other 3 directly connect to my kraken aio).

edit; I used (2x) led rgb hubs, not 1 my mistake. (1 for (6x) case fan's rgb, and 1 for (3x) aio fan's rgb. So you'll have a total of 3 boxes to tuck away/mount, but luckily the rgb led hubs are quite small

So by using the commander pro, I only needed to use my CPU_fan header for the AiO, everything else was connected to SATA and USB. Which I should also mention, the commander pro has iirc 2 usb 2.0 headers too. I highly recommend it...just make sure it's compatible with thermaltake fans first if you still wish to use that brand. I don't know much about them.

Using a controller like the commander pro will also help cable management immensely. Your gonna have ALOT of cables from 9 argb fans, trust me lol! I shudder to imagine using all my mobo headers for that many fans

Reactions: HappyTrails

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You can do everything you want using only the features of your mobo plus a couple of simple Splitters. First, note that each of those nine fans has TWO cables from it. One cable is for the fan motor and ends in a common female fan connector with 4 holes. These are all 4-pin PWM type fans. The other is for the lights in the frame and ends in a wider female connector with 3 holes (looks like it had 4 holes with one blocked off). We'll deal with these separately.

You will have eight mobo SYS_FAN headers suited for use for case ventilation fans because their speed control actions are based on a temperature sensor on the mobo. The CPU_FAN1 header is to be used solely for the CPU cooling system and its actions are based on a different temp sensor built into the CPU chip. The PUMP_FAN1 header is for use with the pump unit of a AIO liquid cooling system. You have not told us how your CPU will be cooled, but whatever you use for that it will come with one or more fans. Interestingly, though, the particular fans you have bought (Pure 14 ARGB Sync Radiator Fan TT Premium Edition) are designed for radiators or CPU air coolers, so you MIGHT be planning to use some of them for that purpose and not for case ventilation. But for the moment, I will assume you do plan all of them for the case. Well, you can simply use eight of them, one on each of the eight SYS_FAN headers, and that's super simple. IF you plan to use all nine, you will need a simple fan Splitter to let you connect two fans to one of the headers. I find that on-line sellers use the terms "Splitter" and "Hub" almost interchangeably, but the two are QUITE different. The easy way to tell? A Splitter has only two types of connecting "arms". One goes to the mobo fan header, and two (or more) output "arms" end in male (with pins) connectors for fans. A Splitter may look like a collection of cable arms or a small circuit board, but it still has only those two types of connections. A HUB has those two connection types PLUS a third "arm" that must plug into a SATA power output from the PSU to get power for its fans. You do NOT need that type of device.

The fans you are buying come with an interesting variation for the lighting cables. The lighting cable of each has two branches - one with the standard female (3 holes) input, plus another with male (3 pins) to be used as an output. That way you can "daisy chain" the lighting cables from several fans and need to use only one mobo ARGB header to feed a group of fans. Unfortunately the fan specs do not specify the maximum number of these fans that you can connect in one chain. The specs DO say the lights on each fan consume at max 0.32 A, and the mobo specs say each of the JRAINBOW headers can supply up to 3.0 A. So from a header load perspective, you are allowed to connect all nine fans' lighting cables in ONE chain to use one mobo header. What we don't know is whether the wires in those fan lighting cables are heavy enough to handle the load of nine fans' lights. So IF you are concerned about that latter fact, you can get ARGB Splitters and feed smaller sub-groups of daisy-chained fans via a Splitter from one mobo header, OR even split them up by using two headers (your mobo has two JRAINBOW headers). Here is an example of a 3-pin ARGB Splitter with 4 outputs that includes the gender-changing adapters to convert the female output connectors to males

https://www.amazon.com/MICRO-CONNEC...&keywords=ARGB+Splitter&qid=1604107994&sr=8-3

If you get two of those you could use one on each mobo header and have up to eight individual ARGB outputs for fans, and make any arrangement you like. Maybe you don't need that much flexibility, though.

By the way, something I do not know about. The mobo has two JRAINBOW headers. You will download and use the MSI utility Mystic Light to control the lights connected to them. When you connect several fans' lighting cables together to a single header, all the fans will do the same thing - they are synchronized. If you connect another group of fans to the other header, I don't know how Mystic Light will do the two headers' outputs. I could imagine three possibilities: (a) they are the same, and everything is synched; (b) they are different, and you cannot synch the two groups; or, (c) you have the option to chose either of those first two. You might ask MSI Tech Support how that will work.

Last edited:
Solution

HappyTrails

Upstanding
Oct 30, 2020
The commander pro is amazing. You'd have to use iCUE software to control the fans, and another to control thermaltakes rgb (I'm assuming), but with the commander pro you get ports for 6 fans, and you can add splitters to those, doubling the amount. It also comes with 2 led channels to add something like an rgb strip or an led rgb hub.

I use QL120mm fans in my build (they have argb on both sides) and the 3 packs come with led rgb hubs. You'd need to buy the commander pro seperately, but I use 9 fans as well. So I bought 3 packs of QL120mm fans, and I used 1 of the hubs that came in the packs and 1 commander pro (sold seperately). If you went this route, you would just need some splitters to add 3 more fans (I have 6 in the commander and my other 3 directly connect to my kraken aio).

edit; I used (2x) led rgb hubs, not 1 my mistake. (1 for (6x) case fan's rgb, and 1 for (3x) aio fan's rgb. So you'll have a total of 3 boxes to tuck away/mount, but luckily the rgb led hubs are quite small

So by using the commander pro, I only needed to use my CPU_fan header for the AiO, everything else was connected to SATA and USB. Which I should also mention, the commander pro has iirc 2 usb 2.0 headers too. I highly recommend it...just make sure it's compatible with thermaltake fans first if you still wish to use that brand. I don't know much about them.

Using a controller like the commander pro will also help cable management immensely. Your gonna have ALOT of cables from 9 argb fans, trust me lol! I shudder to imagine using all my mobo headers for that many fans

Must admit was not the iCue fan at first there is the learning curve of course. I'm ok now with it. It very very nice if argb is involved and now I accustom I can dial in fans real good so slient until really need move some air.

Wish had gone to QL fan mine are LL so 1 side fans at bottom of case would look much better QL.

Only have the 6 fans but 9 argb connects. Still need to buy cables from ebay to connect it all right way I prograstinates. Was not the happy with all the cables but just nature of it they all turn away just fine.

Am definitely not the fan of asus sync its real bad for me. If want best experience then iCue much better for the argb stuffs.