9 month old Ryzen 1600 build suddenly won't post at all

Ty Andreasen

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013
Computer was working fine, then one day screen was black and fans were on. Tried restarting, nothing. Tried clearing CMOS - nothing (using both the jumper reset method and the CMOS battery removal\restart). Tried removing memory\swapping memory around, reseating connections, nothing. Tried a separate video card, and nothing. I've looked at lists on here of things to try, they mostly relate to NEW builds - but other than that: I'm stumped. I'm thinking its the motherboard but hoping someone can help me with some other ideas..

My specs:
Ryzen 1600 - stock cooler
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)
ASRock AB350M Pro4 AM4 AMD Promontory B350 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
GIgabyte ATI 7950 video card

The one thing I haven't tried is different ram, but I've tried both sticks individually, and I highly doubt they both died at the same time? I've narrowed it down to either the motherboard or the CPU... and this particular motherboard you can't start without a video card (Ryzen won't display to onboard video apparently). Any other things to try before I get someone else to look at it - or send it back to newegg? Thank you.

Solution
Yeah the wattage means nothing really. It's the quality of the PSU that counts. Things like how many amps on the +12v rail, load temp ratings (cheaper ones are around 30C max before they start throttling back on power delivery, better ones are 40C or more). I can't find a review either. All that's out there are user reviews like from NewEgg. About 20% of buyers give it a 1 or 2 star rating and reported failures. That's pretty high in percentage:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153173&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Well you gave us all information except what your power supply is. What is the make and model? Regarding a bad motherboard, generally two things go bad with it. One is one or more bad blown capacitors. They are easy to spot as they look like old nasty batteries blown out the top or they are bloated (plenty of examples of pics online if you Google them).

The second is one or more bad MOSFET chips and those cannot be seen if bad by the naked eye. It takes special electronics testing to find one (this happens on video cards too). You can look for burned out areas around it in the PCB but that is not always the case recognizing a bad one.

Ty Andreasen

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013
Right, sorry! PSU is a thermaltake smart 650W I believe - should be more than enough power... doesn't seem like it died but I guess that could be it - easy way to tell?

I'll take a closer look at the capacitors and look for other visual damage, but it looked okay to me for the most part.

I can't find a review of your particular PSU but typically I see TT Smart series PSUs listed as a bad PSU. On the psu tier list that floats around it has your PSU in Tier 6 of 7.

I'd get a better PSU. And if the new better one works you know the culprit. If not, then you could return the PSU if you want.

Yeah the wattage means nothing really. It's the quality of the PSU that counts. Things like how many amps on the +12v rail, load temp ratings (cheaper ones are around 30C max before they start throttling back on power delivery, better ones are 40C or more). I can't find a review either. All that's out there are user reviews like from NewEgg. About 20% of buyers give it a 1 or 2 star rating and reported failures. That's pretty high in percentage:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153173&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Solution

Ty Andreasen

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013
I tried a new PSU and it didn't make a difference - seems in the same dead state - doesn't light up keyboard, just black screen, no response, nothing. Motherboard appears to be fine (no bad caps, etc. that I can see)

Since it's a new computer, everything still has a warranty. Ship it back to whoever and get them to sort it.
If your mobo goes to somewhere else, they will at least test it properly and replace if they have to. If not they will send it back and tell you it's not faulty.
Enjoy the warranty as you don't want this happening outside of the warranty