[SOLVED] 9 Power on Count with 0 power on hours on new 14TB WD140EDGZ from Best Buy $199 sale? is 9 power on count alot for a new HDD?

Nov 5, 2021
last year when i bought 2 Best buy 14TB they both were WD140EDFZ or something like that, and upon first checking with crystaldiskinfo, they said
Power on Count 5
Power on Hours 0
this new WD140EDGZ from bestbuy ordered 2 days ago says
Power on Count 9
Power on Hours 0
is this normal for a new HDD from Bestbuy, and does the power on count really matter, and does it mean it actually was turned on 8 times before?

Solution
Remember, power on count represents the number of times it has been powered on (meaning turning it on) and I don't know if it counts low power to full speed is counted in a power on count.

Power on Hours represents how long the drive has been in use. So a zero is what you really want for a drive you just bought. The power on count could simply represent more testing on the drive or you did something that caused the power on count to increase, like plugging in the power but then powering it off.

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I don't know about Bestbuy but my new Toshiba 2TB HDD had 3 on/off count with zero hours. My new Kingston SSD had 6 on/off cycles, also with zero hours. I assume that the on/off counts are from factory tests.

danger007

Honorable
May 29, 2016
Remember, power on count represents the number of times it has been powered on (meaning turning it on) and I don't know if it counts low power to full speed is counted in a power on count.

Power on Hours represents how long the drive has been in use. So a zero is what you really want for a drive you just bought. The power on count could simply represent more testing on the drive or you did something that caused the power on count to increase, like plugging in the power but then powering it off.

Solution