[SOLVED] 90-100% CPU/Memory Usage When Idle/Performing Basic Tasks

Jul 21, 2020
Hey everyone!

For the past couple of months, my system has been giving me hell. I regularly see anywhere from 90-100% Memory usage and 60-100% CPU usage when I'm idling or doing basic tasks such as browsing the web or using Spotify.

My rig is mostly used for gaming, web browsing and video editing so high performance is required and my system is often unusable due to this issue.

I have included a link to a zip file showing the numerous errors that appear in my Event Viewer. I have no idea how to even begin fixing these errors or if they're even the culprit.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me fix this up as my system is essentially unusable at the moment!

Errors.zip

Solution
Was this selection of components an upgrade on an existing OS installation, or, did it work fine a week ago and has recently collapsed in performance?

Install/run HWMonitor, and monitor clockspeeds...

Install/run CPU-Z, then click on Bench' tab, then 'stress CPU', and allow it to run for 10 minutes....

note clock speeds within HWmonitor...

If MCE is enabled int he BIOS, and cooling is adequate and power limits removed, your all-core clockspeeds should be near 4.9 GHz, and, without MCE, they should be near 4.6 GHz...

If you see only 800 MHz, you are in economy mode or have botched chipset drivers...

Lutfij

Titan
Which version of Windows 10 are you on? Might want to make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard. Speaking of which, what are the specs to your system?

Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
GPU:
PSU:

If your memory usage while idling(soon after boot) is that high, then you have what is known as a memory leak, the only solution is to reinstall the OS. I'd advise on reinstalling the OS, after you've created a bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools.

What browser are you using? Tried using another browser to replicate the issue?

Jul 21, 2020
Which version of Windows 10 are you on? Might want to make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard. Speaking of which, what are the specs to your system?

Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
GPU:
PSU:

If your memory usage while idling(soon after boot) is that high, then you have what is known as a memory leak, the only solution is to reinstall the OS. I'd advise on reinstalling the OS, after you've created a bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools.

What browser are you using? Tried using another browser to replicate the issue?
CPU: i7-9700k @ 3.60Ghz
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z390-P
Ram: 16 GB DDR4-3200MHz
SSD/HDD: 1TB WD Blue SSD
GPU: RTX 2080
PSU: 650 Watt - Thermaltake Toughpower Grand

Was this selection of components an upgrade on an existing OS installation, or, did it work fine a week ago and has recently collapsed in performance?

Install/run HWMonitor, and monitor clockspeeds...

Install/run CPU-Z, then click on Bench' tab, then 'stress CPU', and allow it to run for 10 minutes....

note clock speeds within HWmonitor...

If MCE is enabled int he BIOS, and cooling is adequate and power limits removed, your all-core clockspeeds should be near 4.9 GHz, and, without MCE, they should be near 4.6 GHz...

If you see only 800 MHz, you are in economy mode or have botched chipset drivers...

Solution

TRENDING THREADS