Question 90 degree + GPU please help

Supafly666

Commendable
Feb 18, 2019
Evening, to keep it short as possible as my posts have a tendancy of being deleted.

Been having issues with my GPU, decreased FPS and increased temps.

Just replaced thermal strips inside. My GPU is now fine while it's idle, but as soon as I boot something my card sky rockets to 90+ degrees. I'm out of options and looking for help.

Supafly666

Commendable
Feb 18, 2019
If you're hitting temps like that the cooler is either not fully seated or not working.

Fans are spinning right?

You fully cleaned the old GPU chip of thermal paste and used a grain of rice sized amount?

Yes are far as I can see it is seated correctly, it's clicked into pace and doesn't move if that makes sense? Yes fans are all spinning correctly. I've tried two different ways on the thermal paste and they both have same results. I've tried a "pea" size blob and also a blob but spread it around the chip.

Supafly666

Commendable
Feb 18, 2019
what GPU is this? a pea sized amount is way too much for most GPU chips, they are very small compared to a normal CPU. You likely have way too much compound, that can cause you problems.

You need like literally half a grain of rice.

It's a Nvidia 1070ti Gigabyte windforce .
I'll try the half a grain of rice now. A friend advised to double up on the strips to ensure contact. Should I try this also?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
It's a Nvidia 1070ti Gigabyte windforce .
I'll try the half a grain of rice now. A friend advised to double up on the strips to ensure contact. Should I try this also?
no, if they are too thick then it can throw off the mounting. you should be able to see when remounting the cooler that they are making good contact. Also even if they weren't its the GPU chip itself with the heat problems, not the memory.

Make sure everything is super clean.

Supafly666

Commendable
Feb 18, 2019
no, if they are too thick then it can throw off the mounting. you should be able to see when remounting the cooler that they are making good contact. Also even if they weren't its the GPU chip itself with the heat problems, not the memory.

Make sure everything is super clean.

Yep just redone everything. Cleaned the chip and sink above it. Applied a half a grain of rice to the chip. Same thing has happened again. It started off alright around 35-40 degrees. As soon as I've booted something up it rocketed to 94 degrees.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Yep just redone everything. Cleaned the chip and sink above it. Applied a half a grain of rice to the chip. Same thing has happened again. It started off alright around 35-40 degrees. As soon as I've booted something up it rocketed to 94 degrees.

Wow....

Ok so lets think here, is it possible in removing the cooler that you broke a heat pipe in the cooler?

Are the fans spinning up when it gets that hot?

Barring those things I have a feeling your GPU itself is failing.

Supafly666

Commendable
Feb 18, 2019
Wow....

Ok so lets think here, is it possible in removing the cooler that you broke a heat pipe in the cooler?

Are the fans spinning up when it gets that hot?

Barring those things I have a feeling your GPU itself is failing.

100% nothing has broken, I took alot of care in the disassembly and only took the top part off. Yeah the fans fans go crazy when temps crank up. I have the fans normally set around about 50% usually but sometimes set them to 70% if I'm on something intensive.

But this being said I have had a feeling somethings happening, I have 16gb ram with a Ryzen 7 1800x then with the 1070ti. A friend compared his scores with me and he was scoring higher on same settings with a Ryzen 5 and a gtx 780

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
100% nothing has broken, I took alot of care in the disassembly and only took the top part off. Yeah the fans fans go crazy when temps crank up. I have the fans normally set around about 50% usually but sometimes set them to 70% if I'm on something intensive.

But this being said I have had a feeling somethings happening, I have 16gb ram with a Ryzen 7 1800x then with the 1070ti. A friend compared his scores with me and he was scoring higher on same settings with a Ryzen 5 and a gtx 780

I agree I mean you've swapped the cooler 3 times now, there is not much else user serviceable. I think the GPU is failing. Warranty time.