900D WATERCOOLING

rocknsock802

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
I am creating a new build , in the next coming months ,these are the specs so far
intel Core i7-3770K
ASRock Z77 Extreme11
cosair force 3 128GB SATA III
CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 x2
CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200
1tb Western Digital WD Green
and 2 7970 in sli ,
The case im waiting for is the corsair obsidian 900D

my watercooling parts are

XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay Reservoir (Alu Front)

Swiftech MCP655™ Series 12 VDC Water Pumps - Bare

Alphacool Cape Coolplex Pro 25 External reservoir

Swiftech APOGEE HD Ultimate Extreme Performance Water Block - Black

XSPC RX360 Extreme Performance Radiator Version 2

XSPC RX480 Extreme Performance Radiator Version 2

2X 7970 WATERBLOCK FROM ek

MY QUESTIONS ARE:
WILL I NEED 2 PUMPS?
HOW SHOULD MY TUBING BE CONDUCTED?
WHAT ARE GOOD COOLANTS?
CAN ANYONE POST THEIR WATER COOLING RIGS TO GIVE ME IDEAS?

First order of business for a prospective water cooler, gotta read the sticky. It will explain a lot of the concepts and info behind watercooling. Will take a few reads to fully understand.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/277130-29-read-first-watercooling-sticky

Just some comments on the build, no water involved yet.
- 1200W is completely overkill, go for something reasonable like 750W.
- Dominator RAM offers nothing over other models other than a larger price tag. Just get some Low Profile 1600Mhz CL9 RAM that fits in your colour scheme.
- That WD Green is so out of place on this rig, get a WD Black or Seagate Barracuda.

Your questions
- No, you dont need two pumps on a loop like this. A D5 will do just fine.
- Don't understand the question, or are you asking about loop order? If its loop order, doesnt matter unless you want to talk 1-2°C differences, just do it in a way that looks good and uses the least tubing possible.
- Plain Distilled water, available at a supermarket near you.
- Plenty of build logs around the place, mine is in my sig if you want to see it. There is are dedicated stickies for build logs and pictures of our water loops.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/269431-29-watercooling-build-logs
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/266324-29-water-cooling-club-picture-gallery

Now onto the water
- Why have you got two reservoirs?
- Might want to go for a slim rad for that top 360mm, though I suspect this will be the exception and you wont have issues with mobo clearance.
- Make sure that with those EK blocks that the word Nickel isnt mentioned anywhere.
- Make sure that your 7970's use a reference design PCB, otherwise block compatibility will be an issue.
- Have you factored in how you are going to fill and drain the loop?

rocknsock802

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013

I have 2 reservoirs because i think it looks good , and my wife said it would be "Dopetastic"
yea i was asking on order, like what would be the most attractive way to achieve my dream machine ?
to the distilled water , may i add some color , or will it kill my parts in the long run , i want it red,
and the hardware issues , i wanted this pc to be a good powerhouse pc so i figured the good parts are "Dopetastic" aswell
oh i already own the 1200 watt psu , so no harm done!
thank you about the HDD i will order a black !
and whats wrong with my ram buddy ,its the best for my color scheme :)
thanks for the reply!

Just know you wont see any performance difference by having two reservoirs, and you lose two 5.25" bays by doing so.
Will come down to how it all assembles on the day, though having a general idea of where all the ports are and angles involved will help you figure it out. Visualising it in your head or on paper will also give you a general idea of where you will need angled fittings and such. For the best aesthetic results, try not to cross tubing, looks better if its just one line of tubing.
If you want colour in the loop, do it through coloured tubing and lighting. Dyes will eventually gunk up your blocks and stain tubing.
Nothing wrong with the RAM, just its price tag :). G.Skill Ripjaws has a similar aesthetic and are a lot cheaper.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231429

christop

Distinguished
I would avoid adding color to your loops as it will clog up your blocks and rads. I learned the hard way on this one when it came to cleaning my loop to get all the blue dye bomb out of it. I would go with red colored tubing if you want it to be red.

christop

Distinguished
I would avoid adding color to your loops as it will clog up your blocks and rads. I learned the hard way on this one when it came to cleaning my loop to get all the blue dye bomb out of it. I would go with red colored tubing if you want it to be red.

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Re your build, I'd up the SSD to 250GB. My 128GB SSD fills up quite quickly, and I only use it for Windows and other programmes.

And I thought my 700D was a big case...quite glad the 900D isn't an option, the amount I would end up spending on rads etc is quite frightening. Nice to see Corsair topping up the enthusiast end of the case market.

hdeezie80

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
Yeah this thing has me going crazy waiting for it to come out, but get rid of the dual bay res they are really just a pain in the ass you'll be ok with one d5 for a pump, or you could get a dual pump reservoir and run 2 loops if you really want I may actually do it myself. probably just go for the thickest rad you can on the top rather than running fans push pull on it have the fans pulling air from the top (sucking in cool air) mounted on the bottom of the radiator, this is the most successful configuration I've tried in top of case radiators, push pull doesn't really help your temps out but an extra 25 mm of radiator definitely will. anyways heres my set up and loop order right now and heres what I'm planning in this new case.
current setup
xspc dual bay res -> mcp 655 pump -> xspc ax 240 -> xspc raystorm CPU block -> xspc ax 240 -> ek gtx 680 ftw waterblock -> back to res

planned setup in 900D dual loop
Loop # 1
EK D5 X-RES Top 100 -> mcp 655 pump -> xspc rx 360 -> ek evga x79 ftw chipset block -> ax 240 -> ek gtx 680 ftw waterblock -> back to res
Loop #2
EK D5 X-RES Top 100 -> mcp 655 pump -> xspc ax 240 -> xspc rx 480 -> xspc raystorm -> back to pump

Or single loop
EK D5 X-RES Top 140 -> mcp 655 pump -> rx 480 -> xspc raystorm -> ek x79 ftw chispset block -> rx 480 -> ek evga gtx 680 ftw waterblock

I'll probably just do the single loop as two 480 rads shouldn't restrict flow too much

phx08

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

Haha leads me to believe just looked at the "high" end case and other components and threw them together with no prior knowledge...I digress.