900p or 1080p?

max_payne32

Reputable
Oct 14, 2014
Guys i just bought gtx 760 direct cu2 along with i5 4570..i want to game at high settings with at least 40 fps and AA enabled...should i go for a 900p monitor will my gpu be able to handle a 1080p one? i need ur opinions

Solution
ultra settings are ridiculous to me if you're far enough away to actually see and absorb the entire screen. Your eye can't make out that much detail while that far away with the frame rate that high anyhow. Go with high settings on 1080 and you'll be perfectly happy.

Plus, who knows what the rest of the system specs were on that. They may have had a weak cpu, low ram or old drivers too. The difference between the 90 and 1080 will never be as contrasting as the difference between 760 and 1080 anyhow. Plus, the 1080 will have better support and look better at similar rates to the 900 for the most part.

I saw a shot of a guy struggling with several titles on a R9 290, then noticed he had an i3. No wonder.
1080 is the size most everything is currently designed to be displayed on whether it's web or game related. You can probably get that at high settings, but probably not at ultra. High @ 40fps seems reasonable at 1080.

2xAA/PostAA + 8xAF @ 30+ fps @ 1080p' with a 760 has been reported here many times, and that's ultra for most people. It will of course depend a lot on the demands of the title and how many monitors as well but for a single monitor I don't see much issue.

max_payne32

Reputable
Oct 14, 2014

max_payne32

Reputable
Oct 14, 2014
@darkbreeze, thanks a ton for replying ...i have a single monitor only..but the only reason i asked is because i saw even the mighty titan black is giving only 30 fps on ryse: son of rome at 1080p??? thats why i am so skeptical..becz titan black = 2.5x gtx 760. I also would like to know if i play at 900p on a 22 inch 1080 p monitor ..will that look too bad??,... and which looks better ultra settings at 900p or high settings at 1080p?? ...thank you for your time

ultra settings are ridiculous to me if you're far enough away to actually see and absorb the entire screen. Your eye can't make out that much detail while that far away with the frame rate that high anyhow. Go with high settings on 1080 and you'll be perfectly happy.

Plus, who knows what the rest of the system specs were on that. They may have had a weak cpu, low ram or old drivers too. The difference between the 90 and 1080 will never be as contrasting as the difference between 760 and 1080 anyhow. Plus, the 1080 will have better support and look better at similar rates to the 900 for the most part.

I saw a shot of a guy struggling with several titles on a R9 290, then noticed he had an i3. No wonder.

Solution

max_payne32

Reputable
Oct 14, 2014

max_payne32

Reputable
Oct 14, 2014
Alright then, i think i will be taking the full HD monitor...however you did not reply to that question of mine, if in the years to come..i see that 760 is no longer being able to handle demanding games at 1080p...will downscaling to a 900p resololution on a 1080p monitor look too bad? and you were helpful mate thanks for your time :)

and that guy playing RYSE on gtx titan was using fx 4300...so yeah a mild bottleneck might have been the reason for such substandard fps

Did you buy the card new, and if so, from where and what is the model number. If you got it new, I'd consider returning it and upgrading to the 770. It's only 36 bucks more than the 760 (Cheapest model vs cheapest model) and has a bit better scores in both synthetic and real world gaming benchmarks. All these questions would probably be moot if you did.

Otherwise, yeah, it might look a bit funny. Consider that in two years the standard resolution for all platforms will probably not still be 1080 anyhow as common monitor sizes are already breaking away from that.

It's impossible to buy ANYTHING that's going to be future proof to ANY degree these days. You just need to decide what you can live with. For me, if the hardware I have NOW can still play most games at medium settings in a few years, then what the hell, I'll either be ok with that or upgrade something. Two years from now, the GTX 970 will probably cost between 150-250 since something newer, better and faster will have already been released five times by then.

max_payne32

Reputable
Oct 14, 2014
I own a gtx 760 direct cu 2 OC edition from ASUS brand..i am from India where everything is vastly overpriced..and i repeat VASTLY. the 770 costs about 7000 INR (rS) more than the 760 and that is more than a 100 dollars...my card is only 2 months old...so it probably cant be returned..i can sell it off at a lower price and buy the 770...but that is equivalent to spending around 140$ in ur currency to only get around 10-15 better fps...and its kinda shocking man. Last year in 2013 GTX 760 was considered to be an "overkill" for 1080p..660 used to be more than enough...and now within 11 months 760 is almost inadequate....peripherals cost so much here that we cant afford to frequently upgrade like u guys...need to stick to this pc for at least 2 years...all this is the reason why i asked if i should get 1080p monitor or settle with the 900p one

I would still definitely stay with the 1080. This is just my personal preference, but as I said, I'd rather game on 1080 at medium settings than 900 on high. And I understand about the cost and where you are. I help people all the time from India on Tom's and I agree, it's probably best to just stick with what you have as the difference in performance you would get from the 770 probably isn't enough to justify the cost. Game on bro.