Question 9010 mobo, into a 7010 case optiplex

ashdejan

Honorable
Nov 7, 2018
Just wanna double check with the pros before i do anything. Is a 9010 mobo from a regular full size case, compatible with a 7010 sff case? I need a pc for backup use, and i found a good deal on a 9010 mobo but i have a 7010 case. Do they work together? I know Dell is messy with all their connections and what not.

https://www.dell.com/support/manual...uid=guid-157e8495-34d3-4efa-ab61-1d9efba4c90e

Above link implies they have minor differences:

NOTE: Intel Celeron series is only available for the Dell OptiPlex 7010.

Maximum memory:
Optiplex 7010 16 GB
Optiplex 9010 32 GB

The link is a bit confusing. It implies the 7010 and 9010 are available in 4 formats: desktop, mini tower; small form factor, and ultra small form factor.

So...I'd be wary. If you have the "desktop" variety motherboard and a "desktop" variety case, it may well work.

But it's too confusing for me to be sure. Maybe you can find someone who is a Dell expert.

Reactions: ashdejan

ashdejan

Honorable
Nov 7, 2018

I'm mainly worried about the dimensions and connector differences but that seems to be ok. I guess now i know what to call it, i have a Tower mobo, and a Small Form Factor case. It seems like connections are all ok, some minor loses on the SFF but nothing problematic. I just can't find the dimensions of the inside, as in, would the mobo from a Tower fit into the SFF chassis.

Last edited:
I'd guess it would "fit" or "mount" onto the standoffs OK.

But that doesn't necessarily mean the connectors would match up. The power supply may be a hangup in some way.

The desktop case is wider, so it could accept a taller cooler.

Even if you knew that both "desktop" and "small form factor" cases would accept "ATX" or "mATX" motherboards, I'm not sure that you'd be home free without issues.

I'd still be spooked of proprietary issues. How much would it cost you if you guess wrong? It appears you have not yet laid down the money.

You could pound on Dell support, but that may be hopeless.

ashdejan

Honorable
Nov 7, 2018
Yeah, that's why i'm having doubts, honestly, the price is not too much. But the problem is in my market, there's no 7010 mobos right now, there's 1 for 100$ ..... and i mean.... even if i was a rich boi i ain't giving 100$ for that xD , not worth. (Especially when the average salary is like 400$ a month here).

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
Maximum memory:
Optiplex 7010 16 GB
Optiplex 9010 32 GB

The link is a bit confusing. It implies the 7010 and 9010 are available in 4 formats: desktop, mini tower; small form factor, and ultra small form factor.

But it's too confusing for me to be sure. Maybe you can find someone who is a Dell expert.

Would just like to make a small correction. My Optiplex is a 7010, and it has 32 GB ddr3 ram currently installed.
Also not a Dell expert, just adding info from my case. Got this pc about 2 years ago from a korean surplus store.

ashdejan

Honorable
Nov 7, 2018
*Update, I was able to find a DT case, since they share the same dimensions (Except thiccness) would a MT mobo fit into a DT case instead? Seems more likely.

Mobo from first 9010(Left to right) moved into the second 7010(Left to right)

ashdejan

Honorable
Nov 7, 2018
It says in the last line of the post, the mobo would be from first on the left, and i have the 2nd and 3rd cases (Left to right) I checked, connections are ok. Dimensions i worry about cuz i can't find mobo size for 9010 MT, i'm guessing matx but i wanted to be 100% sure tho, honestly at this point i'm probably just gonna buy it and figure it out, f*** it.

I was kinda iffy when it was MT mobo to SFF case but it looks to me that MT to DT is much more likely.

TRENDING THREADS