939 Opteron 185 maz op. temp?

jmwpom3

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
Hi All,
I have a question for those of you still familiar with the Athlon 64/s939/Opty products:

It's been a while since I've installed new cpu coolers or did any OC'ing and I just don't recall; What is a maximum acceptable load temp for an Opteron 185 @2.6Ghz? I'm running core temp right now, along with p95, this web browser and 4 others, etc, and I'm getting load temps avg around 56 to 58 degrees C, but it does occasionally spike to 61C or so. To the best of my memory these chips can do closer to 70C w/o any issues, but I wanted to be sure. Keep in mind I'm browsing and writing this while running p95 torture on both cores for the past three hours or so without a crash or error. Right now, still at ~58C. Oh, btw, this is a new cpu cooler today (CM hypertx3 w/ push pull 92mm fans & AC5), so this should get more efficient after a bit of time with the thermal paste to set, right?

Thanks in advance for the help and feel free to let me know if this should be in the homebuilt section.

system:
CM Storm Scout (new - nice little case)
Antec True Pwr 400 (still seems to give me the juice I need)
Asus A8n-SLI Deluxe (6 years plus, 3 new GPU upgrades, new case, & 3 cpu upgrades and still rockin' :sol: )
Opteron 185 @2.6Ghz (went from 3500+ to 4000+ to Opteron 185...wait, it might even be a 175 slightly OC'd...don't recall anymore. CUP-Z seed 185)
ATI Raedon HD 3850 512GB PCI-E
2GB Dual Channel OCZ Gold DDR @ 2.5-3-3-5-11 timings @2T (not my area of expertise, so ?? Just copying from CPUZ)
Audigy 2Z soudblaster
2 x 74GB WD Raptors in Raid 0
Windows XP pro SP3

Still bangs out everything I @ play w/exception of BFBC2 @ 1440x900 Max Settings (BF2, CS:S,Assasin's Creed, MWF2, Left 4 Dead2, haven't tried Crysis or newer than BFBC2) Finally found a reason to motivate upgrade :D Bulldozer @ Windows 7 here we come!

jmwpom3

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
FYI - I did burn this thing in overnight with prime95 and it's now running closer to 32-40 degrees idle and 50-52 degrees under heavy load.

If you happen to use one of these upright, Hyper 212 or xiggy Dark Night-style cooler with heat pipes going vertical and perpendicular to the MB: spend the extra $2 for th additional fan to get one on either side in a push/pull setup. It made the difference of 5-10 degrees in my setup and I had similar results with a family member running an old Pentium D floor heater under their desk. I'm sure someone will dispute this, but I've found you can use one of these $20-$30 heatsinks (hyper 212/tx3/etc.) and, by adding the additional fan, get results similar to those of the $60+ heatsinks w/ only 1 fan. Cool little thing you can do if you're really on an extreme budget and can't spring for a nicer heatsink or don't have the space for a taller one. I can't really tell the difference sound-wise...but that wasn't my biggest concern either.

My 2¢, for what it's worth.