Question 9400 GS booting up fine in on one system but not in another

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
Hello there,

I am currently facing a weird issue that left me stumped for over a week now. Long story short, I decided to replace the current HD 5670 in my home server/office rig since AMD's drivers are being stupid as usual. Went ahead and bought an old 9400 GS as an adapter since I watched this guy on Youtube using one in his Windows 10 with good driver support. I had it for like $5 so what the hey.

I plugged it into the rig, and Windows installed its usual basic display driver. Used that to navigate and download both DDU and Nvidia's drivers. Rebooted into safe mode, used DDU, rebooted again, and installed the Nvidia driver. I went to grab the Nvidia driver since Windows' caused red stripes across the monitor which didn't occur in BIOS, hence my guess being bad driver. The strange thing is that once I rebooted the system after Nvidia driver is installed, the system would just crash right after logging in, (when the graphics driver loads). Red stripes, and even system lockup in which CapsLock and NumLock are not working.

In this rig I have a spare Win 10 install on separate drive, and tried to replicate the issue in the other install. I couldn't. None of the problems existed, and I can run the card just fine, even when I did some (very) light gaming on it just to see how it handles a load. It's working 100% A-OK. This installation of Windows 10 was created under the very same USB drive, with the very same updates that I did on a clean install. I fail to see how this one differs from the problem one, aside some utilities that I have on the main drive for work.

Anyone have any ideas? I wanted to go back to my HD 5670 for the time being, but that card's been flaky lately ever since I pulled it from the system.

Lutfij

Titan
It could very well be a driver or app conflict that's triggering the issue on your primary machine. It could also be that the PSU is probably giving out. Is it possible to parse a link to the GS card you own? Yes, the 9400GT doesn't draw much power but a factory overclock could make it draw more than usual. Atop of that, it's also possible that the card was damaged hence why it was so cheap to buy.

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
It could very well be a driver or app conflict that's triggering the issue on your primary machine. It could also be that the PSU is probably giving out. Is it possible to parse a link to the GS card you own? Yes, the 9400GT doesn't draw much power but a factory overclock could make it draw more than usual. Atop of that, it's also possible that the card was damaged hence why it was so cheap to buy.

Hello yes, I've been out of town for the past few weeks so I haven't tried anything yet. It was from a local online marketplace so I doubt it'll be of any help, but it seems to be a Palit one I think. The stock fan died (or so the seller claimed), so he jury rigged another small fan to it, connected to the stock connector.

The PSU being the culprit, I really doubt. Since both Windows 10 installations are on the exact same machine. The problem is only exhibited on one install (main one). The backup installation accepts the GPU just fine. Both are tested with Windows basic driver and Nvidia's, all after a DDU under safe mode.

As for the price, it seems reasonable since it's just a dollar or two cheaper than the market rate. I figured the seller knocked off the price from the non-stock fan.

TRENDING THREADS