Question 94c cpu temp while gaming, new PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlorenzo1

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
Last month I bought an HP Omen 30L from Eluktronics.com
Specs are
i7 10700k
32g ram
rtx 3090

It has a "liquid cooling package". So I've been doing some gaming and monitoring my cpu temps with HWINFO. When playing CP2077 my temps reach maximum of 94c and under the column that says Maximum it says Core Thermal Throttling Yes. Even playing a much less demanding game like Chivalry 2 I'm hitting up to 92c.

Now the average temps when gaming according to hwinfo are around 70c but I am quite concerned about the maximums. I spent around 3k$ to get this PC plus a monitor and I'm very worried about these maximum temps while gaming. What is going on here and what can I do to alleviate this issue?

Install additional front panel fan. May help with temperatures.

g9sru7izg8o61.jpg

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/HPOmen/comments/m9effp/fixing_the_fundamental_design_flaw_in_the_omen/

Reactions: rlorenzo1

rlorenzo1

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
I just looked at Eluktronics. No details shown for that "liquid cooling package".

I wouldn't expect HP to go the extra mile on liquid cooling, especially since they don't provide details.

Would you absolutely refuse to use a different cooler?
I'd be open to any possibilities to get these temps down. You'd think with "liquid cooling" it wouldn't run so hot but this PC emits ALOT of ambient heat too.

Don't know what cheapest alternative might be.....

Maybe a big air cooler from Be Quiet or Noctua.

But maybe you want liquid only?

Your current cooler could be of course be defective...I don't know what temps you have a right to expect in that setup. Case may be mediocre for air flow generally.

The AIO you have is the Cooler Master 120. It's a single block fan/rad. It's the only size AIO you can use in the 30L.

It may be that the cooler isn't seated correctly, or perhaps the thermal paste is crap, or the cooler itself isn't functioning correctly.

While the PC is running touch the tubes and see if they are hot or cold. One should be warm/hot and the other cold. If both are hot, the pump may not be working correctly.

rlorenzo1

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
Don't know what cheapest alternative might be.....

Maybe a big air cooler from Be Quiet or Noctua.

But maybe you want liquid only?

Your current cooler could be of course be defective...I don't know what temps you have a right to expect in that setup. Case may be mediocre for air flow generally.
I guess I should call Eluktronics and get their opinion. I've heard the Omen 30L runs hot but I figured that liquid cooled and all meant like definitely under 90c when gaming.

I don't have any experience with liquid, but all I have read suggests that a 120 mm liquid cooler is the bottom of the liquid cooling totem pole.

Next step up is 240 mm which you apparently cannot fit in that case. A big air cooler is said to be about as good as a 240, so you might consider that...........depending on if and when you want to cut your losses and give up on the current 120 mm.

I guess I should call Eluktronics and get their opinion. I've heard the Omen 30L runs hot but I figured that liquid cooled and all meant like definitely under 90c when gaming.

It should be under 80c TBH. Typically most systems with appropriate cooling will run at about 65-75c gaming temps. Sure, Intel chips can run in spec up to 95-100c, but who wants to listen to fans try and cool that!

I'd say your cooler isn't working correctly. Check the tubes as advised. This will tell you if it's functioning correctly. If the pump is okay, then try reseating the cooler (meaning you would also have to re-apply thermal paste). Start ruling things out before spending money on a new cooler.

rlorenzo1

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
It should be under 80c TBH. Typically most systems with appropriate cooling will run at about 65-75c gaming temps. Sure, Intel chips can run in spec up to 95-100c, but who wants to listen to fans try and cool that!

I'd say your cooler isn't working correctly. Check the tubes as advised. This will tell you if it's functioning correctly. If the pump is okay, then try reseating the cooler (meaning you would also have to re-apply thermal paste). Start ruling things out before spending money on a new cooler.
I just looked inside around the water cooler and everything looks fastened. What exactly am I looking for? I don't know much about computer internals.

rlorenzo1

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
I don't have any experience with liquid, but all I have read suggests that a 120 mm liquid cooler is the bottom of the liquid cooling totem pole.

Next step up is 240 mm which you apparently cannot fit in that case. A big air cooler is said to be about as good as a 240, so you might consider that...........depending on if and when you want to cut your losses and give up on the current 120 mm.
How bad would you say it is for me to continue gaming under these temps?

I just looked inside around the water cooler and everything looks fastened. What exactly am I looking for? I don't know much about computer internals.

There are two tubes going into the pump. Touch them. Are the both warm/hot or is one hot and the other cold?

Regarding the seating of the cooler itself. It would be best to do that with the PC off and all cables disconnected. It would be best to take off the pump and re-paste and re-seat the cooler. If you have never done that before, that's okay. You could bring to a local repair store, and get them to do it for 20£$€.

Alternatively, if it's only new return it to get it tested and fixed. Calling Eluktronics might be a good idea to start with.

rlorenzo1

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
There are two tubes going into the pump. Touch them. Are the both warm/hot or is one hot and the other cold?

Regarding the seating of the cooler itself. It would be best to do that with the PC off and all cables disconnected. It would be best to take off the pump and re-paste and re-seat the cooler. If you have never done that before, that's okay. You could bring to a local repair store, and get them to do it for 20£$€.

Alternatively, if it's only new return it to get it tested and fixed. Calling Eluktronics might be a good idea to start with.
I felt the tubes and neither was hot but both were warm.

Jun 22, 2022
I felt the tubes and neither was hot but both were warm.
Hello, if you are still working on this, I had a similar problem last year when building a PC with an AIO instead of traditional cooler. Even though your PC is a prebuilt and should have already been set up correctly, it sounds like there is a setting in the BIOS that you need to change so that the computer knows that it's working with an AIO style cooler. I've never done it for an HP but if you search it up I bet you can find it pretty easily. Also there could just be a power profile setting somewhere that you need to change to "performance" it could be set to silent which won't spin your fans or will just barely spin them.

Jun 22, 2022
Temps over 90c, even 90c itself is approaching critical/ damaging levels of heat. Also you'll notice your performance will tank when its that hot because your CPU will throttle itself and reduce clock frequency in an attempt to use less power and cool itself down. I hope that you saw my other reply about checking your power profile settings and make sure they aren't set to "silent" and also it sounds like there could be a setting in the BIOS that needs to be changed so that the system knows you are using an AIO style cooler.

rlorenzo1

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
Temps over 90c, even 90c itself is approaching critical/ damaging levels of heat. Also you'll notice your performance will tank when its that hot because your CPU will throttle itself and reduce clock frequency in an attempt to use less power and cool itself down. I hope that you saw my other reply about checking your power profile settings and make sure they aren't set to "silent" and also it sounds like there could be a setting in the BIOS that needs to be changed so that the system knows you are using an AIO style cooler.
I hadn't noticed any performance drops despite the heat levels. I'm going to check the power profile settings as you mentioned.

EDIT I dont see any settings in the control panel to change my fan speeds. I searched for "power profile setting" and the only option it gave me was to change my power plan which seems to only change when the computer sleeps and what not.

EDIT EDIT I changed my power plan to high performance. It was on HP recommended.

Last edited:
Reactions: atlantis_irl
Not bad necessarily, but not great for long term or performance use. Those chips can run within spec up to 95-100c before throttling. It won't damage the chip, but as @atlantis_irl pointed out, your CPU will throttle to keep within spec. It will downclock to let the CPU cool, and that will reduce performance.

This tells me the pump is not working correctly, which would make sense with your temps. I would contact the seller and organise to get them to check it. Otherwise, as others have pointed out you can possibly replace the cooler with an appropriate aircooler (however, this may void your warranty).
That actually means the cooler is working properly. It's a cheap 120mm cooler on a hot CPU. OPs best bet is to have the fan and pump at 100% and install a 2nd case fan as stated above.

Or fit the best/biggest air cooler possible.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
3090 dumping waste heat in PC... only 2 devices present to remove heat at the top and rear... when they're adjacent to each other like that, they fight each other, and some cooling efficiency is lost - probably still better than having a single fan do it though.
Top mounted radiator has to deal with not just the heat exchange from the fluid the cpu warmed up, but everything below it, of which the 3090 is by far the biggest heating element.
Poor 120mm AIO can't keep up with the current rate of air movement.

Cyberpunk and that other game may also be utilizing AVX instructions. The faster x86 instruction set - when running at the same frequencies, at least - but has higher voltage demands, and more voltage means more heat.
It's one of the reasons some games see higher cpu temperature peaks than others.

Dang... to sink all that money into a PC that should work well with no strings attached, only to have to spend more fixing up the flaws the company created... /SMH
I'd just return that piece of crap.

Jun 22, 2022
Uh I dont have that. Don't know why it didnt come with the PC
Thats a good point, and as others have replied at this point, it looks like you have a bit of a heat box on your hands. I had a little HP prebuilt with only 1 exhaust fan, no intake fan, and just a vent on the side to let the graphics card and air cooled processor attempt to get air. When I played Cyberpunk or wanted to go hard with high refresh Apex Legends I had to lay the PC on its side and take the side panel completely off, reduced temps by at least 10 c. Sorry that you are dealing with that, you probably already mentioned if there was an actual intake fan or somewhere for it to breath if it is installed? Hopefully with your power profiles adjusted it will be a little better? I also had a 120mm AIO on my Alienware Aurora r10. I bought it without a graphics card for cheap last year, it had a r7 5800x and after I dropped a 3060ti in it the thing was throttling left and right and delivering strange stuttery performance in some games. I would say "oh just get another case to move your brand new high end components in to" HP doesn't allow you to do that in most scenarios. Very proprietary design of the motherboards and usually the PSU etc. I hope you can find a way to mount a larger 240mm AIO in there, that should help. If you have a removeable front panel, remove it when doing hard gaming. If you have to try laying the whole system on its side and removing the side panel and letting it run like that, with an AIO probably not the best idea though. I was doing it with stock HP provided air cooler on a r5 3600. The cooler appeared to not even be AMD and possibly a repurposed Intel one. (i saw a video on the same prebuilt where they discovered this application)

Status
Not open for further replies.