95-100% CPU usage when gaming

Nov 19, 2018
Hi there...

Basically it is only happening when running a game and it started yesterday. Playing CoD BO4 Blackout, but also tested PUBG. Before that, I had no issue with my PC, it's quite new- bought it in May. I've tried pretty much everything. The last thing I haven't tried is format C://, cuz the system been formated about 3 weeks ago.
My specs:
Asus ROG strix 1080ti
I7 7700k
16 gb ram
M.2 SSD samsung
Asus ROG strix z270e

The only thing I can add is that while I play the game, the CPU might be at 95-100% usage, but the FPS is good as usual. However the graphics processor is at 0%.
CPU temp is good, less than 70C
GPU temp is good, less than 70C

Also I can see that the game itself takes pretty much 90% of the CPU. Looks like GPU is idling and not respoding to the game and CPU has to handle it, but! In Open Hardware Monitor, I can see the GPU working at 60% when ingame.
Another thing is that the GPU seems to be working from what I see inside my PC. All three fans are spinning, graphics card itself is hot- everything seems fine.

If I try to stream on twitch, whole obs is just chocking- 15 fps and less.

I have no idea what to do, even tried removing the mobo battery, changing ram slots, checking second PCIe slot, pretty much everything.

Any suggestions, please....

shmoochie

Commendable
May 10, 2018
Sounds like your cpu is bottlenecking. What monitor do you have and what settings do you usually play on?

You should also try running a couple of antivirus scans to make sure there isn't some kind of bloatware eating up your processors resources. Also, look in the task manager to see what process is using the most.

Nov 19, 2018
Benq xl2430t as main monitor and some Eizo as second. Both connected to my GPU. Benq via dvi and Eizo via hdmi.
I usually play on custom, mainly everything at low. 1920x1080 uncapped fps .

85% of the CPU goes for the game. No other high-usage processes in the background.

I will also add that my ram is at 50% usage.

shmoochie

Commendable
May 10, 2018
Honestly, it is probably just the games you are playing. PUBG is one of the least optimized games ever made. I know they released an update this year that supposedly optimized the game for more than 4 cores, but it ended up just using an insane amount of resources on CPUs with 4 cores and hyperthreading. COD is known to be CPU heavy - look at this link where someone complains about high CPU usage and Treyarch responds: https://www.reddit.com/r/Blackops4/comments/977q1f/treyarch_the_cpu_usage_is_insane_on_pc/

When it comes to the streaming aspect, I don't know much but I do know that a lot of people have high CPU when using the wrong encoder.

Nov 19, 2018
So you saying I've been playing CoD bo4 since release with no issue and PUBG for around 1.6kh with no issue (just low fps due to bad opt.)and suddenly the games decided to start using 90% of my cpu?:p
The issue started on sunday, Ive been playing both on saturday with no issue, so I honestly think it's not game related problem...

SotirMarius

Reputable
Sep 25, 2014
Hey there,
I am encountering the same issue on my PC as well. I would like to ask you what Windows version are you using?
Also are you still facing the issue now?
I updated my windows to 1803 and this think started happening. I get really high CPU usage 100% in BF5 and The division.
The thing is that with BF5 I can 100% confirm that before the update my CPU was going on a grand operation on 92% max.