95% memory usage while idle?! HELP?!

Hybrid7x

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
In task manager it says 95-98% of my RAM is being used when I'm idle or in browser, about 7,5 out of my 8GB. I've built a pretty good system with Windows 8.1 on it, and this is the first time this has occured... I tried playing CSGO but I kept getting lag spikes (I'm using Intel HD 4600, didn't get a GPU yet). Also, my CPU is on 3-10% usage so I supposse thats okay. How to fix this bullshit?

Solution
Run an antivirus and an antimalware scan. Not using antivirus and saying you back up your important stuff is like claiming you don't need a seatbelt because you're a careful driver. If you do get infected, then proceed to make a back-up, you've also backed up the infection.

Hybrid7x

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
I know. I checked my processes and most of them take up 1 MB or so, except Steam using about 30-40 MB. I'm not downloading anything, well at least I think I'm not. All I know is that I restarted my PC, at the beggining it was using 2GB RAM, but 10 min later and it's using 2,7GB now already...

Hybrid7x

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
I calculated all the memory used by programs, and it's roughly about 1300-1400 MB. Is the other half of the 2.7 GB being used right now the Windows, or what else could it be? Also it says "Cached 1,4GB" what does this mean?

Cached is memory that is holding pre fetched data. Windows starts to know what you do and it will have some things loaded into memory to make loading faster on common programs.

Available is what you should be keeping an eye on.

95-98 used seems extreme unless you are running a ramdrive or something.

Hybrid7x

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
I don't use a antivirus, so I don't think I can do scans. I'm pretty sure there's no viruses because I don't go to ANY links I don't trust, my last PC didn't have an antivirus for the 3 years that I had it, and I didn't get a single virus on it.

I reset the PC and right now its on 45% usage, is that normal? I remember that on my old PC (had 6GB ram) it was always using about 2GB RAM when idle.

USAFRet

Titan

If you don't have an active anti-virus, how do you know whether you have a virus or not?
And most of the current AV tools do not slow down your internet.

Saberus

Distinguished
Run an antivirus and an antimalware scan. Not using antivirus and saying you back up your important stuff is like claiming you don't need a seatbelt because you're a careful driver. If you do get infected, then proceed to make a back-up, you've also backed up the infection.

Solution