955 Cooling question

ssguy24

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
So I'm bored at work, and I've decided what better thing to do than find other bored people to answer my questions.

I have an AMD 955 BE.

My temps idle are around 44 C
Gaming up to 54 C

I have a decent case, lian li, and good airflow.

cooler is stock.

I really want the new Corsair H50 went it drops towards the end of June, but until then, how are the other 955 BE owners temps? Stock heatsink or not, idle/gaming/full load etc

Don't bother with the H50. It's pretty cr@ppy.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/252455-29-water-cooled-computer#t1801333

ssguy24

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
Maybe my question got misconstrued, because the responses I got had absolutely nothing to do with my question, so allow me to reiterate: What are other 955BE users temps?

Im not going to do water cooling for a multitude of reasons, primarily because it's not necessary for my needs, and secondly because my ps case isnt large enough to handle the type of system I would want.

I don't know how your hating on the H50 when it hasn't been released yet.

I thank you for the responses, they just aren't in the realm of answers I expected for a temps question

zingfharn

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
Are you overclocking? I'm running pretty hot, most of the time.
38-40C with Gelid Silent Spirit, at stock speed/voltage, idle load.
at 3.7GHz (multiplier change only) and 1.425 volts, it sits up at 60-61.
at 3.8GHz (multiplier change only) and 1.525 volts, it seems stable, but can't stay cool - hits 63 in about 5 mins, at which point I stop the tests running.
I grabbed a Noctua U12P cooler and installed it a couple of days ago. Giving it a couple more days for the thermal paste to dry/set/whatever it does. I'm told the metal compounds can take up to 3 days to properly set.
Initial tests, though, show about the same - I can't get the thing cool enough to run at x19, 1.525 volts. Any lower voltage and it's terribly unstable (crashes after a few seconds of usage).
I still don't really understand the overclocking thing, though, so I may perhaps need to change other voltages, or something.

IT's a similar deal if I try to overclock by bumping the clock speed.
I get to 230 stable at 1.425V, runs at 59-60V
235 or higher require similar voltage, which can't be cooled enough.

Currently looking into different fans, to see if I more air over the radiator will cool faster.

It may just be my chip, but it does seem to run really really hot.

ssguy24

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
That's the thing, I'm not overclocking and yet my temps are pretty high. I didn't know if I didn't seat the heatsink correctly or if it was a problem everyone was having, that was why I asked.

Where have you been purchasing your coolers from? Im interested to know if the new Noctua cooler you purchased showed any promising signs (for lowering temps).

sjwpwrpro

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
don't know if this helps I have a 9950be that runs 31-32 on stock cooler and from what i understand i thought that the newer chips were supposed to be cooler. That seems a little high for a none overclock but nothing to be worried about. If you do decide to overclock don't bother with the stock cooler I tried and its pointless unless you just want .2 to .3 Ghz out of it.

G

Room temp: 72-75F Right after restart.
e381906c.jpg

Room temp: 72-75F During Prime95
661d5ae3.png