9600 pro & far cry

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Hi all,
I'm peed off as my Far Cry keeps crashing after about 5 mins playing.
Game continues but screen is awash with spurious colours.
PC needs a reboot.

Doesn't matter if game is played low quality or all bells & whistles.
When it does work it looks absolutely gorgeous

Far Cry patched to 1.1

I've got Athlon 2600
512Mb RAM
9600 PRO cat 4.3 drivers. I know there are later version but 25Mb on
dial-up takes ages!
DX9b



My ATI heat sink looks a bit loose - tried a bit of compound but
spring mounts don't seem to fix it tightly enough. However I tried
playing with PC cover off - still same.

tia


blackbat /\x/\
 

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003
740
0
18,980
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"blackbat" <xxx@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:sg7qa0pp64mj086mtglilane3nk55ssmus@4ax.com...
> Hi all,
> I'm peed off as my Far Cry keeps crashing after about 5 mins playing.
> Game continues but screen is awash with spurious colours.
> PC needs a reboot.
>
> Doesn't matter if game is played low quality or all bells & whistles.
> When it does work it looks absolutely gorgeous

I don't know the answer but my Radeon 8500 128Mb with the 4.3's render the
demo unplayable. Same problem with the 3.7's. Huge texture tearing,
artifacting, transparency errors, etc.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"blackbat" <xxx@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:sg7qa0pp64mj086mtglilane3nk55ssmus@4ax.com...
> Hi all,
> I'm peed off as my Far Cry keeps crashing after about 5 mins playing.
> Game continues but screen is awash with spurious colours.
> PC needs a reboot.
>
> Doesn't matter if game is played low quality or all bells & whistles.
> When it does work it looks absolutely gorgeous
>
> Far Cry patched to 1.1
>
> I've got Athlon 2600
> 512Mb RAM
> 9600 PRO cat 4.3 drivers. I know there are later version but 25Mb on
> dial-up takes ages!
> DX9b
>
>
>
> My ATI heat sink looks a bit loose - tried a bit of compound but
> spring mounts don't seem to fix it tightly enough. However I tried
> playing with PC cover off - still same.
>
> tia
>
>
> blackbat /\x/\

I have a Sapphire 9600 pro with a passive cooler (big heatsink; no fan).
I have played Far Cry to the end several times on this card. I have had
crashes when I overclocked the card too much. Other than that, no
problems. If I set the Far Cry graphics to "very high", it becomes too
slow. It is good on medium, on default clock rates. I have overclocked the
card to 470 core and 350 memory and I can play at "high".
It is very important to keep the card cool. It is not good if the heatsink
is loose!
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Thanks,
Which heat sink have you got & where from?
Don't spose you'd give me a quick overview on how overclock the 9600?
I used to be well into overclocking CPUs in the days of the Celeron
but somehow never bothered with a graphics card...
Still have a giant Golden Orb heatsink somewhere a thing of great
beauty - wonder if I can adapt that?

>I have a Sapphire 9600 pro with a passive cooler (big heatsink; no fan).
>I have played Far Cry to the end several times on this card. I have had
>crashes when I overclocked the card too much. Other than that, no
>problems. If I set the Far Cry graphics to "very high", it becomes too
>slow. It is good on medium, on default clock rates. I have overclocked the
>card to 470 core and 350 memory and I can play at "high".
>It is very important to keep the card cool. It is not good if the heatsink
>is loose!
>


blackbat /\x/\
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"blackbat" <xxx@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:g4vta0529dd8u6um33vo5pq05945ukujdi@4ax.com...
> Thanks,
> Which heat sink have you got & where from?
> Don't spose you'd give me a quick overview on how overclock the 9600?
> I used to be well into overclocking CPUs in the days of the Celeron
> but somehow never bothered with a graphics card...
> Still have a giant Golden Orb heatsink somewhere a thing of great
> beauty - wonder if I can adapt that?
>
>>I have a Sapphire 9600 pro with a passive cooler (big heatsink; no fan).
>>I have played Far Cry to the end several times on this card. I have had
>>crashes when I overclocked the card too much. Other than that, no
>>problems. If I set the Far Cry graphics to "very high", it becomes too
>>slow. It is good on medium, on default clock rates. I have overclocked
>>the
>>card to 470 core and 350 memory and I can play at "high".
>>It is very important to keep the card cool. It is not good if the
>>heatsink
>>is loose!
>>
>
>
> blackbat /\x/\

This is the card.
http://www.allstarshop.com/shop/product.asp?dept%5Fid=339&pid=7459&sid=2S648P2G4B729JK6HK498JBB2FHKFWS7#

Sapphire 9600 pro ultimate edition

It comes with a small heat-pipe-type heatsink (ZALMAN?).

I use the ATITOOL for overclocking http://atitool.ocfaq.com/.
Heat is the enemy! If the case temperature is not kept low, when you play a
game, the core temp will go too high and you will have crashes.

You can use the ATITOOL to find the max core frequency. You need to let it
run for a while. It will gradually increase the clock rate until it finds
artifacts. Then, it will automatically reduce the rate until there is no
artifact. Then, you can do the same with the DDR rate. After that, you may
want to further reduce the rates a little bit to give yourself some margin.
The real test is when you play games. If you have crashes when you play,
you can reduce the rate a little bit more. The cooler your case, the higher
you can overclock.