9600 Pro Vs 9800 Pro

Theneler

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2003
Is it worth the price difference? Im a hardcore gamer, but even I'm not sure that the gigantic price difference makes up for the performance.
Im looking at $200Can for the 9600Pro, or 550 for the 9800 Pro.
Whats your opinion?

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
when u said hardcore, do u mean Doom3/Half Life2/Flight simulator 2004 hardcore or Unreal2k3/Quake 3/War craft 3 hardcore?

if your the first one 9800pro will do u real good
if your the second one 9600pro will be enough

Proud Owner the Block Heater
120% nVidia Fanboy
I'd get a nVidia GeForce FX 5900Ultra... if i had the money and if THEY WOULD CHANGE THAT #()#@ HSF

Also yet again look for a 9700non-pro. As a HARDCORE gamer, then go with the 9800Pro price shouldn't matter because you're so hardcore. However if you are a price-concious avid gamer, then go with a 9700non-pro. Should [rice cause you pause, then go with an R9600Pro, and $200CDN is a better price than I've seen. I've seen the R9700Non-pro for about $325-350CDN (Sapphire),a dn I would say that's a better choice (especially for anyone who needs to ask between those two options).

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

XafGoat

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2003
What about the 9500 pro? With a little tweaking cant you make that one the best bang for the buck?

<font color=blue>Truth about Santa Claus debunks
Santa God. God evolves from Santa.</font color=blue>

Actually no, for the most part an R9700non-pro is a much better deal, and ALSO has much more overhead potential. If you are talking about Moding forget it. They are gone Gone GONE! And anyone asking for advice here shouldn't be given the advice to buy a card requiring such a risky mod, as the downside SUX! You'd be left with a crummy 9500non-pro not a 9500Pro (they aren't modable in that way). And an overclocked R9500Pro is still nowhere near the performance of a 9700non-pro. Heck I can overclock MY 9600Pro enough to make IT a better price/performer than the 9500Pro in many/most areas (but most people WON'T be able to do that).

So the BEST bang for the Buck is by far the R9700non-pro.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

NateKingCole

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2003
really? Cause I can get a 9600 pro for 210$ cdn but the best I can find is a 9700np for 369$ cdn or a 9700pro for 459$cdn. If you were to recomend a card you'd still recommend the 9700's even though the 9600 is infinitly cheaper?

The 9600Pro will do you for most things. IT's a nice card I have one like I said. However if you want something a little more future proof then the 9700PRo is the card.
For an example of a cheaper price for the R9700N-P go to <A HREF="http://www.iccomputers.ca/icdesktops/front.htm" target="_new">IC-COMPUTERS</A>, check toward the bottom oof the GRAPHIC CARD page, they have the 9700np for $349. Now you (and only YOU know) have to ask yourself, is it worth THAT much extra money for the games you ARE/will be playing. Even D]|[ and HL2 will play on the 9600Pro, just likeley with a FEW features turned down. It's a BIG money difference even for CDN$.
And I haven't seen the price you have for a 9600Pro anywhere, make sure it IS an ATI 9600PRo equivalent. Because some people like Gigacube sel products they even CALL a 9600Pro that are really non-pros in pro clothing.

My personal feeling is that if you are a HARDCORE gamer (build rigs JUST to play games), and you can afford it, go with the 9700Non-pro. If you are an AVID gamer (like to game but actually have other interests and the $150 diff. (after tax) could be used elsewhere then buy the 9600Pro. I'm waiting for the KILLER cards which don't come out 'til fall. So the 9600Pro matches my needs, however f you want to just upgrade once and have the money now. Then the 9700non-pro really is the best choice. The 9600Pro you listed though seems like a GREAT deal (as long as it is a pro).

Hope that helps, and doesn't confuse matters worse.

NateKingCole

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2003
Yeah thanks. It is a true ATI pro products and its a great deal right now. But I still have some decisions to make. I don't live for games, but I play them. I think the 9600 pro will be good for now. If I decide I need more later I know of a few people i can sell it too and buy a 9800 pro or 9700 pro. thanks though, I was just wondering if the 9600 is crap. Obviously its not, but you know.

Yeah, sounds like the right choice IMO, based on what you've said. And it IS a great price.

A for them being crap, yeah I definitely don't think so but I'm biased in that matter. They do have SOME potential even for a mid-range card. So it should do you for a while. And if you're lucky (<b>but don't rely on it</b> in your buying decision) you MIGHT be able to overclock the crap out of it.

Theneler

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2003
I get my components at a shop where i live that does a straight 10% markup on everything. I think it might be $205 Can or something around there. I talk them down to a
5% markup tho.

BTW Staples Business Depot has the R9700 Pro for $430. Its of course the retail version with a 3 year manufactorer exchange warranty. Very nice price, especially for a big box store. Unfortunetly most of their stores only stocked 1-3 at a time, so you might have to get them to transfer one in from a crappy Staples in the middle of nowhere.

I am definetly the first type of gamer. Basically im a hardcore gamer without a really great high paying job. So when it comes to my actual hardware, i guess im not that hardcore cus i can't be.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Theneler on 07/21/03 00:12 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Ganache

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hey, where i live i can get a radeon non-pro ( shaphire ) for 305$.

<A HREF="http://www.equipemicrosolutions.com/" target="_new">http://www.equipemicrosolutions.com/</A>

NateKingCole

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2003
holly f man. I'm tempted to get some stuff shipped from Quebec. I live in BC though, so it might not be worth it by the time it gets here. I'll look into it

cleeve

Illustrious
Nate, where can you find a 9600 PRO for $210 Canadian? If you have a link, I'd really appreciate it... Thanks!

------------------
Radeon 9500 w/256 bit memory bus @ 367/310
AMD AthlonXP 2000+
3dMark03: 3439

NateKingCole

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2003
<A HREF="http://www.atic.ca/store/product$/frameset.htm" target="_new"> Here </A>
I find Vancouver usually has the best prices on hardware, whith the exception of that one place from Quebec. That ish is insanely cheap.
I guess I could ask another question here for anyone who wants to answer. I'm heading down to Van next week to pick up all my gear, but atic will install everything for 30$. Now I'm kinda of a newb to assembly, I've been working with electronics for ever but I've only assisted on one computer before. I was looking forward to doing the install myself, but for 30$...

NateKingCole

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2003
mf'er. I can't believe it. Maybe that was a typo or something, but I swear the 9600 pro WAS listed as 210$, but now they've changed is. They must have realised their mistake. I'm choked I bet if I'd bought earlier I could have forced them to give it to me at that price.

cleeve

Illustrious
Maybe you were looking at the 9600 non-pro. That's $210.

Which isn't too bad of a deal, really.

Thanks for the link!

- Cleevey

------------------
Radeon 9500 w/256 bit memory bus @ 367/310
AMD AthlonXP 2000+
3dMark03: 3439

NateKingCole

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2003
No man, I was pretty carefull I looked at all the suppliers in Vancouver and Alberta. Specifically looking at the 96 pro's and 9700np's. I was pretty happy when I found Atic, but it must have been a typo, cause I remember looking at it and the 9600pro 128MB was 210$ where right below it the 9600np 256MB was 220$ (and I remember thinking that was pretty odd). Oh well what's another 35$ I guess. I've still got some thinking to do now I guess. Maybe I'll just splurge and get the 9800pro.