wildhockey4057

Honorable
Apr 25, 2014
I have been trying to overclock my 9600k for about 6 hours now and I just cannot push this thing at all. The highest I have gotten the clock speed to was 4.8ghz at 1.4V and it was running at 98°(YIKES) so thats obviously not an option. When I do a lower voltage Prime95 will only run on 4/6 cores because it throws an error and stops two workers instantly. I have tried turning Load Line Calibration to Extreme, turbo, and normal for every clock speed and voltage level increase/decrease. I have also double checked that the Maximum Processor State is at 100% in the windows settings. I don't understand if I'm doing something wrong here or if I just received a bad binned CPU. My original goal was 5ghz because I see people easily achieving it, but now I'm not sure that thats possible.

Side note - When running Prime95 on stock speeds I hit 1.06V and temps max out at 58°.

Specs:
  • Noctua NH-D15
  • Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro
  • 2080 Super
  • 16gb ram

Is your memory 2 x8GB or 4 x4GB?

Do you have the MOST recent BIOS version installed?

What is the EXACT model of your power supply?

Are you disabling AVX and AVX2 when you are running the Prime95 stress test (You SHOULD be) and WHICH test are you running for thermal testing? You SHOULD be running "Small FFT". Not "Smallest FFT" or Large FFT or Blend. ONLY "Small FFT" with AVX/AVX2 disabled.

If that is NOT what you are doing, then do so, and try your testing again. If you can pass 15 minutes of Prime Small FFT with AVX/2 disabled and not exceed 85°C (80°C preferred) then you are thermally compliant and can move on to stability testing.

Full testing guidelines can be found here:

wildhockey4057

Honorable
Apr 25, 2014
Is your memory 2 x8GB or 4 x4GB?

Do you have the MOST recent BIOS version installed?

What is the EXACT model of your power supply?

Are you disabling AVX and AVX2 when you are running the Prime95 stress test (You SHOULD be) and WHICH test are you running for thermal testing? You SHOULD be running "Small FFT". Not "Smallest FFT" or Large FFT or Blend. ONLY "Small FFT" with AVX/AVX2 disabled.

If that is NOT what you are doing, then do so, and try your testing again. If you can pass 15 minutes of Prime Small FFT with AVX/2 disabled and not exceed 85°C (80°C preferred) then you are thermally compliant and can move on to stability testing.

Full testing guidelines can be found here:

My memory is 2x8gb in the 2nd and 4th from the left spots.

I just realized I do not have the most recent version of my bios. I have never updated bios before so I'll work on that next.

My power supply is an EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W 80+ Gold

My AVX was on Auto since all the videos I watched were saying not to touch it, but I can test that out before the BIOS update. My BIOS only has a 0-31 option for AVX so I'm guessing I'd set it at 0, correct? I cannot find any AVX2.

I have been testing on the Small FFT for Prime95

AVX is fine for use a a metric for stability OR for AVX dependent applications, but you may want to use an offset for AVX in the BIOS, IF your BIOS has it which most do these days. It will however tend to increase the temperatures dramatically, which is WHY you want to use offsets and EXACTLY WHY you DON'T want AVX or AVX2 enabled when doing thermal testing.

Thermal test to ensure compliance for NON-AVX gaming and applications, and then use AVX offsets for thermal compliance after that games or applications that do use AVX or AVX2 instruction sets.

If you are testing with Small FFT and did NOT disable AVX and AVX2, then you are leaving a considerable part of your overclock on the table because you can use moderately more voltage, meaning a more stable overclock effort at higher clocks, without exceeding the 80-85°C threshold. Then, you can go back later and fine tune for AVX using offsets and retest using either your game, application or Prime95 Small FFT with AVX enabled.

But FIRST, ensure compliance for normal usage.

Lots of good information to be found here as well and I recommend that you read it: