[SOLVED] 9600K runs at only 4.2Ghz

Solution
Enabling MCE in the BIOS would/should allow all cores to go to peak 4.6 GHz, as an interim step of testing for stability and your cooling solutions effectiveness... (Naturally, the 5 GHz all -core goals might require core voltage bumps, which raises temps quite quickly in conjunction with the clock speed increases...)

You can specify desired core voltage bumps (only if needed and preferably keeping gaming temps no higher than ~80C, IMO), remove turbo duration limits and power/TDP limits pretty easily with Intel's XTU, which allows staying in Balanced power plan, idling down to 800 MHz when desktop loafing, yet still turboing up to specified clock speeds under a load....or, you can research all the BIOS settings.

Someone will likely...
Enabling MCE in the BIOS would/should allow all cores to go to peak 4.6 GHz, as an interim step of testing for stability and your cooling solutions effectiveness... (Naturally, the 5 GHz all -core goals might require core voltage bumps, which raises temps quite quickly in conjunction with the clock speed increases...)

You can specify desired core voltage bumps (only if needed and preferably keeping gaming temps no higher than ~80C, IMO), remove turbo duration limits and power/TDP limits pretty easily with Intel's XTU, which allows staying in Balanced power plan, idling down to 800 MHz when desktop loafing, yet still turboing up to specified clock speeds under a load....or, you can research all the BIOS settings.

Someone will likely be along shortly to explain that hitting 4.9 GHz all core a few seconds after bootup and XTU activation and only under an actual load is not quite as good as sitting at 4.9 GHz 24 hours per day, I suspect! :)

Reactions: andypouch
Solution

andypouch

Prominent
Oct 16, 2019
Thanks mate,
Yes, I've managed to find the MCE , it's on the first page of the BIOS screen.

Enabled it. ALL CORES at 4525Mhz. I'm so happy to see that.

Temperature were holding between 45_56C, is that good figures? That's when I was playing Civilizations VI

56C under a gaming load is cooler than expected....; not an issue.

If you incrementally want to try higher all-core clocks speeds, XTU makes it only a couple mouse clicks affair, and, if there is ever any instability that results in an unclean shutdown, the XTU, seeing there was not a clean shutdown, reverts to stock settings....

Reactions: andypouch