Question 9600k stuttering help

Jan 24, 2020
I play mostly fortnite and after playing creative for a while I start getting really bad fps drops and get endgame in arena I thought it was cooling but when it was stuttering the temps were under 50c I also maxed out fans to rule it out I've removed my OC and running no OC just xmp enabled Ive reinstalled windows tried pretty much everything honestly about to go out and buy a 3900x so tired of this. the 1% lows are the problem but sometimes in endgame ill just get 60fps and the cpu will be pinned at 100% and lagging super hard.

specs:

Cpu: 9600k
cooler: Deepcool castle v2 240mm aio
motherboard: msi a pro z390
gpu: Asus 1070ti
ram: 16gb corsair lpx 3000mhz
psu: Evga bq 700w
250gb samsung 970 evo (fortnite installed on it)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Physical limitation of the cpu; nothing you can do about it without replacing it.
-Motherboard drivers are up to date
-Windows is up to date
-Windows files are intact? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker
-Gpu drivers are up to date, without Geforce Experience
-Cpu nor gpu is thermal throttling
-Running dual channel memory
-Storage drives aren't borderline full
-Clean of viruses and malware
-Not running a multi-monitor setup with screens of different refresh rates
-Not running browser in the background

If all of that checks out, then it's the 9600K's lack of threads that is causing the issue. The non-hyperthreaded(Intel) and non-SMT(AMD) cpus all suffer from high frame time spikes when all their cores are loaded, and those can cause stuttering.

3900X is much overkill for just Fortnite. A 3700X is good enough, but that at least means a new motherboard...
A 9900K wouldn't be any better though, because you'd have to replace the current cooler and motherboard; they just aren't good enough for that power hungry tyrant.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020
Physical limitation of the cpu; nothing you can do about it without replacing it.
-Motherboard drivers are up to date
-Windows is up to date
-Windows files are intact? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker
-Gpu drivers are up to date, without Geforce Experience
-Cpu nor gpu is thermal throttling
-Running dual channel memory
-Storage drives aren't borderline full
-Clean of viruses and malware
-Not running a multi-monitor setup with screens of different refresh rates
-Not running browser in the background

If all of that checks out, then it's the 9600K's lack of threads that is causing the issue. The non-hyperthreaded(Intel) and non-SMT(AMD) cpus all suffer from high frame time spikes when all their cores are loaded, and those can cause stuttering.

3900X is much overkill for just Fortnite. A 3700X is good enough, but that at least means a new motherboard...
A 9900K wouldn't be any better though, because you'd have to replace the current cooler and motherboard; they just aren't good enough for that power hungry tyrant.
Thanks yeah im gonna be looking for a 3700x i wont buy a 9900k cause in canada they are like 700 dollars and the new cpus are coming out soon and they have a new socket so the motherboard would need to be replaced

Reactions: Phaaze88
Jan 24, 2020
I actually lied i went out and bought a 9900kf and a new motherboard Asus rog z390e and it still stutters so i swapped out the power supply to one from another computer because it was the only thing exept for storage i havent swapped and the stuttering was gone im still gonna keep the new hardware but I just dont understand how the PSU is causing this its very rare for a PSU to cause fps issues I thought and idk if they will warranty the psu if it still works but causes stuttering after an extended gaming load.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I would call this an example of psu quality DOES matter.
The psu needs to be able to deliver a steady supply of 'clean power' to all of your devices.
If it can't deliver a steady supply of power under load, or the power it's delivering is 'dirty', then yeah, you're going to have problems.
The EVGA BQ 700 isn't a top tier psu.

Jan 24, 2020
I would call this an example of psu quality DOES matter.
The psu needs to be able to deliver a steady supply of 'clean power' to all of your devices.
If it can't deliver a steady supply of power under load, or the power it's delivering is 'dirty', then yeah, you're going to have problems.
The EVGA BQ 700 isn't a top tier psu.
ANOTHER UPDATE i was looking at my psu cable i was using and it was not the one that came with the psu and i found the one that came with the psu and it is finally fixed the cable i was using was way thinner than the one that came with it

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Jesus. You're very lucky nothing went nuclear using a different cable. Modular psu cables aren't standardised and pin arrangements can be different. VERY lucky. Same goes for storage drives, anything connecting to the psu via modular means must use the original cable.