9600K vs Battlefield V 1440p struggling BAAAAAD

educalifa

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
As the tittle says, I currently have a 9600K running at a very mild 4.8 and it is not handling Battlefield V very well. My question is "Is this normal?? Should I have gotten a more powerful CPU? Is there an easy fix??"

A bit of context:

I know it's a new game and it's probably not 100% optimized yet and whatnot but I honestly didn't expect it to be so bad, especially after reading all the reviews and seeing no mention of it.

The CPU stays consistently either at 100% or very close to it during gaming and that's with me closing ALL other applications to give it as much head room as possible. I do run the game on ULTRA with just a few minor tweaks.

My monitor is a 27" 1440p 165Hz Gsync and I even with the CPU running the way it is I'm still getting over 100fps consistently. It probably avg somewhere around 120fps.

My PC in case this info might help solve this:

AGON AG271QG
Gigabyte Auros Pro WIFI
i5 9600K@4.8
Noctua NH D15
16Gb RAM @3000
EVO 970 M2 500Gb
EVO 840 500Gb
Win10

Both the CPU and Motherboard were bought new about a month or so ago. All drivers/BIOS updated recently.

If anyone can shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
Think its more to do with fps as with that video i posted in that other thread. 1080p/1440p either resolution is easy for higher end cards to push. The cpu still needs to pre-render each frame so the more there is adds to cpu usage + whatever else is going on in map.

educalifa

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014

Hmmm I guess I should have gotten the 8700K after all... I was between those 2 CPUs and thought I'd get the 9600K since it's newer and doesn't seem to have the thermal issues some 8700K had. My other option was to go AMD but not sure that would have made things better either.

Well, I'm not forking out for a 9900K cause it's silly money even if I can afford it. I'll try and limit the frames and see if that helps things some.

Thanks for you answer Boju!

educalifa

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014

To be honest it didn't do much at all... the options on BF5 are 200/144/120/60. If they had something like 80 I might have considered but 60fps is pretty low once you get used to really high fps. No idea what DICE is thinking but this will ruin the game if they can't find a way around it. Admittedly, not many ppl play at 1440p (if that's even the main culprit here).

educalifa

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014

Thanks mate! I'll give that a go too. Just tried playing on a lower resolution (1920x1200) and the issue still there... painful

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Think its more to do with fps as with that video i posted in that other thread. 1080p/1440p either resolution is easy for higher end cards to push. The cpu still needs to pre-render each frame so the more there is adds to cpu usage + whatever else is going on in map.

Solution

educalifa

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014

Ok, based on what you said I tried something before using the fps limiter you sent me. I dropped the refresh rate from 165 to 99.95 but brought the resolution back to 2160x1440 and BAAAAAAM it's a LOT better! Like it hovers around 60% which I'm fine with.

Thanks heaps for your suggestions, mate!

nicholas70

Reputable
May 15, 2016
Reading your initial post it isn't really clear what the problem is aside from 100% CPU usage which isn't really a problem if your gameplay experience is smooth. BF5 eats system resources like they are going out of style, and the framerates you stated you are getting seem fine for the specs listed. I have a 9700k and GTX 970 16gb ram and with almost all settings low I can only maintain over 100fps on DX12 but if I use DX12 for more then an hour or so my cpu usage goes crazy and my framerates crash and I have to exit the game and restart it, but on DX11 all is well but my framerate avg is around 80fps on DX11. I'll also point out that I've heard of a number of other people having similar issues, and tons more still having constant high cpu usage.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Oh, your advice is good, I just would like to see the OP provide the information. We frequently get some unrealistic expectations! Just a couple of weeks ago, I was dealing with a similar problem someone had and they only mentioned by their 6th or 7th post or something that they were trying to use an RX 470 as a 1440p card.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Sure, thats reasonable. Ill let it be hoping they provide.

Really, would be awesome if Tom's did a full-on investigation article regarding cpu usages. Single cores vs HT at higher refresh rates + fps and see what the experience is like.

educalifa

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014

Sorry, my problem is EXACTLY that. CPU usage way too high! If I run the game at 100% for more than a couple of hours it will crash and it was always at 100% so yes, that's a problem.