Question 9600kf crashing Prime95 on stock settings after OC attempt?

Oct 23, 2020
I have a Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi mobo with a i5-9600kf. I'm new to all of this, and about a week ago I managed to completely mess up my system to the point it wouldn't boot, and I had to spend a few days on google to get it fixed. My problem is that when I'm trying to dial in an overclock, instead of Prime 95 crashing my entire system crashes. After so many times, the whole system won't boot. So I reset the CMOS and did a completely new install of windows, so everything should be brand new and uncorrupted, except when I went to run prime 95 on stock settings to make sure it would...the small FFT's make it crash every time. I tried upping the voltage some to see if it was a stability issue, and it crashes even on stock settings @1.3v. So...I'm pretty confused, any suggestions?

Edit: I have a NZXT Kraken 240mm AIO, the temps (when my overclock WAS running) never topped 150F under load.
I'm also using Intel Performance Maximizer, it seemed to be an easier-to-deal-with option.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2020
It started life as this prebuilt. I have since installed the gigabyte z390 Aorus pro WiFi mobo, the NZXT kraken x53 cpu cooler, and this 16gb Corsair RAM kit. The power supply is an Apevia ATX-PR600w, with 80+ gold rating.

Oct 23, 2020
So would it be safe to assume the cpu is junk then? I can’t RMA it seeing as it came in a prebuilt and it’s been OC’d.

edit: it now won’t boot with xmp enabled, which is new, it’s always worked fine up till now. This is indicative of instability and therefore a fried chip, no? I’m poised to order a new one but I want to be sure first

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2020
THAT PSU IS A HAZARD. Especially considering you've got an i9-9900KF. I won't be surprised if that's the problem.

It's actually an i5-9600kf. But regardless, if that power supply is indeed a hazard that's good to know.

cyberpower? probably installed something wrong.
check the gpu temp?
recheck all cables. reseat ram/gpu, etc.

I had to redo all the cables/reseat RAM, etc the first time when I replaced the b365 mobo with the z390, and again a few days ago when I moved it all over into an XPG Battlecruiser chassis. I'm sure everything is seated and hooked up properly.
GPU temp is just fine, even when it's overclocked it hangs out around 160F under full load.

So what are the odds that it's only the power supply then, and not the chip? It's weird to me that Prime 95 used to run fine, and now it doesn't, and XMP stopped working yesterday.

Oct 23, 2020
Tried running Prime95 small FFT's again and it still crashed, but with a different code. Before I was getting clock_watchdog_timeout, after BIOS update I got machine_check_exception. Google says this is an unrecoverable hardware error in the processor itself, memory, I/O, or system bus. Memtest86 recently passed on the RAM so I'm pretty sure it's not that. Thoughts?

Edit: It still doesn't like XMP anymore. It wants me to set optimized defaults, removing the xmp profile, before it will boot.

Last edited: