9600SE and HL2

I'm thinking about getting a PowerColor 9600SE. What kind of
performance in HL2 can I expect? The CPU is an Athlon 2400+. I have a
low profile case so that's pretty much the only card I can get. Or
perhaps there're low profile cards with more powerful chips coming?

Hi Chung,

Without going into to much detail, you should be fine with that card.
Obviously you may not be able to crank the details up to the max but should
play fine on 800x600 or even 1024.

Warty

"Chung Leong" <chernyshevsky@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm thinking about getting a PowerColor 9600SE. What kind of
> performance in HL2 can I expect? The CPU is an Athlon 2400+. I have a
> low profile case so that's pretty much the only card I can get. Or
> perhaps there're low profile cards with more powerful chips coming?

True, assuming that the 9600se is in the pci slot and you have at least a
9600 in the agp slot running as the primary device. The only way the 9600se
will play half life decent at all will be at the lowest resolution with low
settings. Not that the game is out, but considering thatthe 9600se is on par
roughly with a 9200, which is a dog compared to the years old and
discontinued 8500, it's a safe bet.

Mike

"Mike P" <mike@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
> True, assuming that the 9600se is in the pci slot and you have at least
> 9600 in the agp slot running as the primary device. The only way the
9600se
> will play half life decent at all will be at the lowest resolution with
low
> settings. Not that the game is out, but considering thatthe 9600se is on
par
> roughly with a 9200, which is a dog compared to the years old and
> discontinued 8500, it's a safe bet.
>
> Mike

Bear in mind that Half Life 2 is supposed to be able to run even on
DirectX 6 hardware. Obviously the 9600SE isn't anything to write home
about, but I would think that you could be doing much worse as far as the
game is concerned. Also, the 8500 was not entirely cheap even just two
years ago. I remember them hovering near Ti4200 price levels back in the
summer of 2002.

Yes, but for very little more money you get a 9600, which is a bottom end
gaming card. Lesser cards are little better than onboard video imo.
Minimum game requirements are meant for lowest settings and typically give
terrible framerates at that.

Mike

> Yes, but for very little more money you get a 9600, which is a bottom
end
> gaming card. Lesser cards are little better than onboard video imo.
> Minimum game requirements are meant for lowest settings and typically
give
> terrible framerates at that.

Very true.

"Mike P" <mike@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message news:<bbY2d.134046$Np3.5584190@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca>...
> Yes, but for very little more money you get a 9600, which is a bottom end
> gaming card. Lesser cards are little better than onboard video imo.
> Minimum game requirements are meant for lowest settings and typically give
> terrible framerates at that.

The issue isn't money. A regular video card wouldn't fit in my slick media PC case.