Dr_asik

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Hi, my video card, a sapphire Radeon 9600SE, is presently screaming in tortured agony, litteraly. You don't want to hear what I'm hearing. It sounds really bad. The fan has a problem, I don't know what it is, but it seems to be making desperate efforts to keep up, sometimes dropping to very low speeds. I don't know what should I do; it is clean, I did that 2 months ago. I opened the case to allow for more air flow but that doesn't change anything, except the risk of accidently kicking inside my computer, which I don't like.

Please help me as I feel it's gonna explode in ten minutes.

(Yes, I know it means "just get that X800XL already!". But it's not as if I had it on my desk, you know.)

weilin

Distinguished
bearing on that fan might be going. my recommendations:

A. take GPU fan out (unscrew it from the heatsink). Take out tape measure, measure it and buy a fan thats hte same size. Usually hte fan is 40mm. Newegg has many 40mm video card fans. Just pick 1 as anything would be better htan what your hearing.

B. get a whole aftermarket cooling solution that includes Fan and Heatsink.

C. just get that X800XL already! :wink:

Dr_asik

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
What I just did was to remove the card completly (first time I do this) and cleaned the fan as well as possible (there were still LOADS of crap in there). I don't have a screwdriver small enough to fit the fan screws, so I didn't remove the fan itself, but the cleaning still has seemed efficient enough to get that baby (or old senile granny) to shut up.

And yes, I've got that X800XL high on my priority list, don't worry!

Dr_asik

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Cleaning has only proved a temporary solution as today it is noisy again. Not quite as bad as yesterday, but still, that fan is going down. I'll wait until I can't take all that mechanical groaning or the video cards blows up, whatever comes first, and buy a new one. (a card, not a fan. I'm not investing 1 more dollar on that lamer!)

Thanks for your advice.