9600XT

This may sound like an odd one, but there is a rumor going around that a
bunch of radeon 9600XT's were actually made with 9800XT chips. Short of
taking the heatsink off and looking at the chip itself (if I'd even be able
to tell then, LOL), is there a way to tell if I have one of the upgraded
models? I tried forcing windows to detect it as a variety of 9800 radeons
but there was no difference in performance. Anyone know if there is anything
to this rumor, and if so, is there any way to take advantage of it?

On 4/27/2004 7:12 PM Bitbug brightened our day with:

>This may sound like an odd one, but there is a rumor going around that a
>bunch of radeon 9600XT's were actually made with 9800XT chips. Short of
>taking the heatsink off and looking at the chip itself (if I'd even be able
>to tell then, LOL), is there a way to tell if I have one of the upgraded
>models? I tried forcing windows to detect it as a variety of 9800 radeons
>but there was no difference in performance. Anyone know if there is anything
>to this rumor, and if so, is there any way to take advantage of it?

There are some 9800 Pros that are actually 9800XTs and you can flash the
video card BIOS to get them to perform like XTs (or something like
that), but not 9600XTs that are actually 9800XTs. And I think you
actually have to read the number on the chip to tell with the 9800 Pros.

http://www.rojakpot.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=92&pgno=0

--
"Smiles everyone, Smiles!" - Mr. Roarke

Steve [Inglo]