ZGarrett

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
I currently all the parts together but am problems booting:

Leadtek Winfast Geforce 7950GT
Corsair DDR2 800 2x512MB
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Gigabyte 965P-DQ6 (v2.0)

I am not sure if it is posting, because the video card is sending a signal to the monitors. The CPU fan and the Video card fan spin (I do not have rebooting issue), the hard disk spins up, and the is a small 'blip' on poweron. However, the display is constantly "No Signal"ing. Any ideas? I heard the RAM maybe a problem since it is spec'd at 1.9v instead of the 1.8v standard. I do not know what bios revision I have since I can't get the display working. Would RAM cause the display not to pop up?

MrMr

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
It won't be a ram voltage issue. Verify that all connectors are in place. 24 pin and 4 pin on motherboard,6 pin on video card, and cable from video card to monitor are secure.

ZGarrett

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
Ram:
Tried one module in each slot
Tried with both modules in slots 1 & 3 (as per motherboard manual)

Video Card:
Tried the 1st and 2nd PCI-e slot
Double checked 6pin connector
Double checked cabling to monitor

Motherboard:
Double checked 24pin connector

I had heard about this board having ram voltage issues before. Something like it only works on 1.8v modules unless you tell it to use a higher voltage in the BIOS. I read up online that my ram is set for 1.9v, but would this cause the monitor to not have a signal?

MrMr

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
If it was a memory issue the PC wouldn't boot at all. Those reviews you read are most likely old. The issue was with higher voltages (2.1) and were fixed a long time ago.
I see you checked the 24 pin, but what about the 12v 4 pin to the motherboard?

ZGarrett

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
Interestingly, when I connect that the computer goes into some reboot cycles. Everything works for about 5 seconds, and then shuts down. Which is starting to make me think it is a power supply issue.

MrMr

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
Well your comp won't work unless that is plugged in. It's not optional.
Re-seat the CPU and remove all non essential devices. Keep only 1 stick of ram\video card\cpu.
And what power supply are you using?

ZGarrett

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
Reseated CPU, double checked all connects with only one stick of ram in the first ram slot, the video card, and the CPU.

Still getting a power cycle after about 3 seconds or so. The CPU fan only spins for a second or so then stops, then a few seconds later the system repowers.

MrMr

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
I was having the same thing happen with my Giga 965P S3 when all the mem issues were around. But your mem is on the DQ6 support list. I was using OCZ @2.1 volts. If it reboots, just let it go. My board will do the same when I change hardware. If it just continues to reboot, try resetting the bios, Turn off ALL power to the PC for a minute. Try all the mem slots.
If you have a spare Vid card, try it. Your power supply should be good to power your comp, but it is in the low end.

MrMr

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
Your card specs ask for 22 amps, a better power supply couldn't hurt, but before buying parts for nothing, you should exhaust all other possibilities. For example, try one stick in all 4 slots, repeat with the second stick. This way you can almost rule out bad ram. Then try using a separate video card, this includes any PCI card,if you have one lying around. If you have a friend with a system that you can use to swap some components for testing purposes. If all fails then get a power supply.
There are people here that can give you better advice on power supplies, so I'll let them take care of any suggestions.

MrMr

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
True, but it can still be a power supply issue. As for ram, You can have a bad stick and still post, but go no further. I've seen it more than once.

dwaleke

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
I have the exact same issue. Although it only happens when I try to overclock the system. Crazy thing is that if I get past post and the system boots I don't have any issues at all. If it won't get past post then after it reboots automatically a few times the settings in the Bios flip back from my overlock FSB of 8x400 to FSB being disabled and PCIe flipping back to Auto.

I have OCZ Platinum Rev 2 memory (2.1v set correctly in Bios). I really hope it is not the memory. I have another 2GB of this stuff coming. The problem only happens when I push the overclock so I thought it was related to that. I went out and bought a 750W Thermaltake power supply 4x12 volt rails 20A each. I thought it was the Power supply (obviously by buying another) and no dice. I had an Antec Phantom 500 in there before.

I'm going to swap out my video card as suggested above. I'm running an Nvidia 7600 GS (until my new card gets here).

Crazy thing!!! If the systems gets past post and boots (without losing settings) it will run forever stable. Only at system startup do I have issues.

MrMr

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
Did you manually set the mem voltage to +3? And the memory timings to 4-5-4-15?
I'm using OCZ Gold (also 2.1 volts. No issues....ever)

Oops. :oops: Didn't see the (2.1v set correctly in Bios).

dwaleke

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
Let me post my settings:

E6600
CPU Multiplier x8
FSB: 400
PCIe: 100
Memory Multiplier: 2.0 (1:1 Memory Ratio)
Memory Speed: 800Mhz
RAM 4-4-4-15

DDR OverVolt: +0.3 (1.8v + .3v = 2.1v)?
FSB OverVolt: +0.15v
CPU Vcore: 1.35v

Like I said it is very stable (dual instances of Prime95 for over 12 hours) and memtest for well over 12 hours. 0 errors or issues.

If I go to push the FSB to 425 I get stuck in the never ending reboot at post. It might beep once and reboot or it won't even beep. Makes no sense to me. I've got plenty of power and my components should take it. I'm flashing back to the F7 bios and see what happens. I just got the board last week and flashed to the F8 bios right away.

MrMr

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
Well that all looks good.
The F8 may be your problem. Seems that everyone is bitching about Gigas latest bios, when it comes to the 965 chipste motherboards.

dwaleke

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
The F8 bios was the problem. I flashed back to F7 just now. I'm now running the FSB at 425. I could never boot with it that high before. Sometimes it wouldn't even boot at 8x400. System is running fine now. Time to run all the usual tests.

FYI: I upped the CPU vCore to 1.375 to run at 3.4 Ghz. We'll see how things go.

edubai

Distinguished
May 14, 2006
it will work only for 10 seconds and then it will shutdown

if you try and switch it on it will work for 5 seconds and then off

then 2 seconds and then off

ITS YOUR CPU THERMAL PASTE........YOUR CPU IS OVERHEATING

open your heatsink make sure you have enough thermal paste :!:

Whizzard9992

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
I had a similar problem with the DQ6.

if it powers on for a couple of secoonds, and then back off, it's a power supply issue.

There's a 4-pin molex connector on the board that's quite abnormal. The manual says it's only required if you're using x-fire/sli, but I needed it with only one card pci-e card.

Make sure you have all 3 connectors from the PSU going into your mobo.

If you get a BEEP and no signal, it's most likely your cable from your comp to your monitor. A single beep usually indicates a good Power On Self Test (POST), which includes testing the vid card.

aron311

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
Hmm ive just overclocked my memory some more and found that the annoying bootup cutout thing has come back. Still it boots sometimes?! HELP :)

Whizzard9992

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
Hmm ive just overclocked my memory some more and found that the annoying bootup cutout thing has come back. Still it boots sometimes?! HELP :)

You probably have a drooping rail. What kind of PSU do you have?

As you overclock, your power consumption increases exponentially. Chances are you're drawing more power than your PSU can (reliably) provide.

aron311

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
Ive got it sussed now, the rebooting is just the system trying to boot with the settings i have selected. If its left to do its thing it will eventually put them back to default and boot normally, so this is actually a very good board! I have a nice PSU, Antec Neo HE 500 Watt.

I upped the voltage on E6400 CPU to 1.375 Vcore and got it at 3.2Ghz with 400FSB. 2GB Geil 4-4-4-12 warranted upto 2.1v running at 2.1 V in 1:1 (800Mhz). The FSB is up 0.15V on default. Im not sure if i should push for more on anything? The ram is only running at default so what u thinks lol :) CPU is at 50 degrees under load i didnt notice the circular copper Zalman cooler i ordered needed a bracket under the board, which is obstructed by the Crazy-Cool so i just have my old Gigabyte G-Power Pro.

I put this system together yesterday its pretty sweet! Got a HIS X1950 Pro Turbo to go with it (the one with the massive cooler)