965p-ds3 crashes during bootup

sl8406

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2007
I have a gigabyte 965p-ds3 w/ an intel e6300, 2 gig patriot DDR2 667 ram. My problem is that when I boot up the system randomly crashes. It always crashes between 10 and 30 seconds after i hit the power button, no error, no beep, just normal operation, then crash. It's not the PSU, as i have replaced it, and I'm pretty sure its not a heat issue because all the fans are working, and it occurs within 30 seconds of being turned on. I tried booting with only 1 stick of memory, thinking that maybe one of the memory sticks was bad, but it still crashes. Any help?

Dannymc283

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
My guess would be that you haven't mounted the hsf properly. What are your temps like? I would try reseating the heatsink and see if that fixes the problem.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Ya, boot into BIOS, go into the PC Health area and watch your temps. Do it quickly in case it crashes and you can watch your temps.

If your temps are fine, but crashes after booting into Windows, that's a whole different problem. If temps are fine and crashes in BIOS, then you got a hardware problem. If temps are no good in BIOS and crashes, you'll know where the problem is....likely CPU overheating due to bad heatsink seat.

Try that and see what comes up. That'll narrow the options.