[SOLVED] 970 EVO 1TB not working with MSI X99 SLI PLUS mobo?

Nov 21, 2020
Hello All

my system
Power Supply620W Seasonic Evo Bronze Powersupply-SS-620GM
MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS Intel X99 Socket 2011-3 Motherboard
ProcessorIntel i7-5820K Processor 3.3Ghz 6 Core - LGA2011-3
Processor CoolerScythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev.B Low Profile Cooler AMD and Intel-SCBSK-2100
Memory16GB DDR4 2133MHz (4X4GB)
Solid State DriveToshiba 120B Solid Sate Drive
Hard Disk DriveToshiba 2TB 7200rpm Hard Disk Drive
Graphics CardMSI Geforce GTX970 Gaming Edition 4GB - GTX970 Gaming 4G

i just added another 16gb of RAM (2x8bg modules whch after a few tries i got to work)

I got some ideas from (and originally tried to reply to that)

now when i conect the EVO the system does notthing with or without other drives connected.
I have tried some other sugestions from this thread:

[SOLVED] - How to properly install m.2 into x99s sli plus motherboard?
I've been trying for a good week to get this working on my own but I have the intel 7 series m.2 pcie and I've installed it into my x4 slot on the X99S Sli plus motherboard. For some reason it isn't registering that it exists. My friend told me to try looking through BIOS and I'm honestly...
forums.tomshardware.com

but even when i try to boot with the USB stick and only the EVO on nothing happens. not even the BIOS boots. to be honest not all the options that are described are the same on my bios but i think i am close enough and the pc wil not boot from the USB.

and by he way yes i have downloaded MSI's live update and got all the latest drivers.

any other suggestions my good people?

many thanks

Solution
UPDATE:
the drive works!!!

After a discussion with a friend he pointed out that actually I hadn't updated the BIOS but only the drivers.
So after the BIOS update the system was booting witht my old drives and the EVO installed. I am thinking good that is progress. however the BIOS would still not recognise it and would show the port as empty. I proceded to boot to Win and see if they saw it by any chance but no luck.

So I followed the advise on the above post ([SOLVED] - How to properly install m.2 into x99s sli plus motherboard? ) and after changin the board settings as much I could follow the instractions, I booted the system from a UEFI USB with Win10, installed them on the EVO, got the settings of the mb back to default...
Nov 21, 2020
UPDATE:
the drive works!!!

After a discussion with a friend he pointed out that actually I hadn't updated the BIOS but only the drivers.
So after the BIOS update the system was booting witht my old drives and the EVO installed. I am thinking good that is progress. however the BIOS would still not recognise it and would show the port as empty. I proceded to boot to Win and see if they saw it by any chance but no luck.

So I followed the advise on the above post ([SOLVED] - How to properly install m.2 into x99s sli plus motherboard? ) and after changin the board settings as much I could follow the instractions, I booted the system from a UEFI USB with Win10, installed them on the EVO, got the settings of the mb back to default, reconected my drives and all works perfect. I now have another SSD installed were i can put any FAT games to play from.

I hope this will be helpfull to others too.
many thanks

Solution