970 Evo nvme m.2 does not work on asus z97 pro-gamer

Pedro Monteiro

Honorable
Dec 31, 2014
Hello.
I bought today a new ssd a m.2 one since i always used the 2.5" ones and it was cheap because of black friday... But I'm having a problem with it.

I was formatting my PC and noticed on windows install that there was no m.2 ssd, then I went to the bios and on the "onboard devices configuration" activated the "m.2 mode" on "m.2 PCIe".

Then I went to try and install again on my windows 10 boot pen, and hurray! It appears my m.2 ssd there so I went and installed windows...

But now I'm having a problem because my boot menu on bios does not detect the m.2 disk... On windows installation it detects and installs and it's everything OK, but on bios it just detects my hdd and not the m.2 what should I do ?

My specs:

Mobo: Asus z97 pro-gamer
CPU: i7 4790k
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO nvme m.2 500gb

EDIT: It seems I needed to update my BIOS so it could detect my 970 EVO ssd, and needed to reinstall windows again.

did you have windows 10 installed on another drive, either a Sata SSD or regular HDD?

if so, if you can boot up on the sata drive, with the NVME installed download and install the NVMe driver
then shut down and i'd reboot one time again on the sata drive, let windows load then reboot, and this time go into
BIOS and select the 970 as boot drive

when you installed windows, did you have all the other drives disconnected? you should have - if not, i'd wipe that 970 drive, leave it unallocated and re-install windows (ie do not format or partition it - windows will do that) - that was the mistake i kept making, thinking the NVMe drive had to be formatted with empty partitions

Pedro Monteiro

Honorable
Dec 31, 2014
Thanks for the awsners but I fixed it, it seems I needed to update my BIOS to a more recent version since it did not have the nvme drivers, by updating it already recognizes my disk, but thanks The Original Ralph for the awsners :)

the samsung NVME driver is the better driver, specific to your SSD

USAFRet

Titan
You do realize that the 970 EVO NVMe will only run at about 1/3 its full performance, right?

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z97PRO_GAMER/
"Z97-PRO GAMER includes an M.2 socket with two native PCI Express 2.0 lanes for data-transfer speeds of up to 10 Gbit/s."

A current x4 m.2 port would allow "up to 32GB/s" with that drive.

Mar 28, 2020
Hello.
I bought today a new ssd a m.2 one since i always used the 2.5" ones and it was cheap because of black friday... But I'm having a problem with it.

I was formatting my PC and noticed on windows install that there was no m.2 ssd, then I went to the bios and on the "onboard devices configuration" activated the "m.2 mode" on "m.2 PCIe".

Then I went to try and install again on my windows 10 boot pen, and hurray! It appears my m.2 ssd there so I went and installed windows...

But now I'm having a problem because my boot menu on bios does not detect the m.2 disk... On windows installation it detects and installs and it's everything OK, but on bios it just detects my hdd and not the m.2 what should I do ?

My specs:

Mobo: Asus z97 pro-gamer
CPU: i7 4790k
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO nvme m.2 500gb

EDIT: It seems I needed to update my BIOS so it could detect my 970 EVO ssd, and needed to reinstall windows again.
I got the exact same problem. I did a Bios update, checked the drivers for my m.2 and reinstalled windows, but it still doesn't work. Does anybody have an idea what could be the problem?