Question 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 1TB in X470 Aorus gaming 5 wifi: which socket should I use?!?

Apr 1, 2020
Hello guys!

Good morning.

I have the following system configuration:
X470 Aorus gaming 5 (https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_x470-aorus-gaming-5-wifi_1002_e_200710.pdf)
Ryzen 7 2700X
2x SLI GTX 1070 ti (PCEX16 and PCIEX8 used by the GPUs)

I recently bought a Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 1TB and I am not sure in which socket of the mobo I can connect: M2A or M2B.

I tried first in the M2A and I got an issue with the GPU connected in the PCIEX16. When booting windows resolution was not the native and when trying to access NVIDIA control panel I got a message saying that no NVIDIA card was connected to the display. If changing the display to the second GPU connected to the PCIEX8 the NVIDIA control panel opens (it recognizes the card).

Why is this issue happening?

After that I tried to change the NVMe ssd to the socket M2B and I got no issue with the GPUs.

Does that means that if in SLI I can only use the NVMe M.2 in the socket M2B?

Is the NVMe in the slot M2B, or M2A making my GPUs slower?

Thanks in advance.

KR

rgd1101

Don't
You said when you have the m.2 on m2a and connect the monitor to the 2nd card. does it see the first card in nvidia panel? are they both running at x8?
the different is m2a use cpu pcie lane and m2b use the chipset

what the bios version ?

Apr 1, 2020
You said when you have the m.2 on m2a and connect the monitor to the 2nd card. does it see the first card in nvidia panel? are they both running at x8?
the different is m2a use cpu pcie lane and m2b use the chipset

what the bios version ?

No, it doesn't not see the first card in NVIDIA panel.

Yes they are both running at 8x since: The PCIEX8 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX16 slot. When the PCIEX8 slot is populated, the PCIEX16 slot operates at up to x8 mode.

BIOS version is: F50

Apr 1, 2020
that left with cpu or the motherboard. could check for bend pin on the cpu.
I ran the following tests:
a) 1 GPU only at the PCIEX16 (PCIEX8 empty) + the NVMe M.2 at the socket M2A / Result: GPU is not recognized as NVIDIA (it is recognized as "windows basic display...")
b) Same as above but switched GPUs (to see if it was a malfunction of the card): Result: same as above...

I contacted Gigabyte support to see what they have to say...

Another idea??

KR

José