[SOLVED] 970 EVO PRO for os???

Afro_ninja199

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
atm i have my os on a 240GB Apacer AS340 2.5" SATAIII SSD would getting a 250gb 970 evo plus give me any gains? only use PC for gaming/ watching you tube etc can get a 250gb evo plus for $131nzd whuich is pretty cheap

cheers

specs are below

Antec Prizm 120mm RGB PWM Case Fan
4 TB WD Blue Hard Drive 3.5" HDD 7200 RPM
1TB samsung 970 EVO plus M.2
2 x 8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 3000Mhz DDR4 Ram
240GB Apacer AS340 2.5" SATAIII SSD - 505MB/s Read and 410MB/s Write
800W Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 CM
Gigabyte GA-Z370-AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX LGA1151v2 Motherboard
In-Win 303 Mid Tower Case - White
Intel Coffee Lake Core i7 8700K Unlocked 6-Core CPU
Thermaltake: Floe Riing -360 RGB TT Premium Edition
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition

Solution
Yeah, for gaming and watching browser video, there is not a significant benefit to adding an NVME drive, for those tasks specifically, that make it worth doing. If you HAD to get a drive anyhow, the price difference these days makes it a no brainer to just get an NVME drive if you have to get a drive for the OS anyway, but not so much if you already have the OS on an SSD unless you have specific use case reasons why you'd want to go that route OR for aesthetic reasons.
Aside from faster loading times for games and applications, no, it really won't.

Really it's more of a nice to have and unless you are transferring to and from and equally fast drive, it's fast sequential performance is almost irrelevant except in a very few read and write situations. It won't give you more FPS. It won't really change your boot times by much, because two seconds faster isn't much really.

What MIGHT be beneficial though, if you have the money to spend, is getting the NVME drive for your OS and then using the other SSD for your game files AND as a place to backup OS images or important files. In that way, it's probably worth it, because you can't put a price on not losing your important files and folders and it would have the added benefit of those faster load times for maps, levels, textures, etc., for games.

You'd probably also see some minimal performance increase for random windows operations, but I wouldn't expect a major difference.

Afro_ninja199

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
Aside from faster loading times for games and applications, no, it really won't.

Really it's more of a nice to have and unless you are transferring to and from and equally fast drive, it's fast sequential performance is almost irrelevant except in a very few read and write situations. It won't give you more FPS. It won't really change your boot times by much, because two seconds faster isn't much really.

What MIGHT be beneficial though, if you have the money to spend, is getting the NVME drive for your OS and then using the other SSD for your game files AND as a place to backup OS images or important files. In that way, it's probably worth it, because you can't put a price on not losing your important files and folders and it would have the added benefit of those faster load times for maps, levels, textures, etc., for games.

You'd probably also see some minimal performance increase for random windows operations, but I wouldn't expect a major difference.

i have a 1tb 970 plus for my games plus 4tb Hd for other files might pass for now lol thank you

Yeah, for gaming and watching browser video, there is not a significant benefit to adding an NVME drive, for those tasks specifically, that make it worth doing. If you HAD to get a drive anyhow, the price difference these days makes it a no brainer to just get an NVME drive if you have to get a drive for the OS anyway, but not so much if you already have the OS on an SSD unless you have specific use case reasons why you'd want to go that route OR for aesthetic reasons.

Solution