970 Performance problems?

DoomedAKAMike

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
Got my new 970 last week, i've had some issues. Im only getting like 20-30 fps in DayZ (even on lower settings), and only getting 40-50 in rust on medium settings. I noticed in PrecisionX that my graphics card is always at 100% usage while in either game (CPU Is 20-40%, ram is 40-50% Usage). Any help is welcome :(

Specs:
AMD FX-8350
8GB(4x2) G.Skill 1333Mhz
NZXT Hale 850W PSU
120GB SSD
1TB HDD
Windows 8.1
All drivers updated.

Solution
I found some info.
Everybody gets low FPS in Day-Z even with the most extreme setups,like i7 4790K,16GB of RAM,GTX 780 Ti and Win 8.1
They get 20 FPS on low settings,like you.
That is because "Day-Z runs on a horribly optimized engine. The main reason behind this is that every zombie that spawns in is actively processed locally, by your CPU, instead of on a server. Same with cities. Everybody gets low frames with dayz, simply because of how badly optimized the engine is."

anti-duck

Honorable
Those games are still in early access alpha and need a lot of optimisation so I wouldn't rely on them to bench the GTX 970 (also turn your graphics settings up in DayZ so it uses more of your GPU as it uses the CPU to process some graphics at lower settings), what kind of FPS are you getting in other games?

I found some info.
Everybody gets low FPS in Day-Z even with the most extreme setups,like i7 4790K,16GB of RAM,GTX 780 Ti and Win 8.1
They get 20 FPS on low settings,like you.
That is because "Day-Z runs on a horribly optimized engine. The main reason behind this is that every zombie that spawns in is actively processed locally, by your CPU, instead of on a server. Same with cities. Everybody gets low frames with dayz, simply because of how badly optimized the engine is."

Solution

DoomedAKAMike

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
I've tried turning up the settings, no matter what the 970 is 100% usage in DayZ.

CounterStrike: Global Offensive 250-270 FPS
Skyrim 57-60 FPS (I think it's capped at 60)
Garry's Mod 120-150 FPS
7 Days to Die 50-60 FPS (Capped @ 60)
Killing Flood 79-89 FPS

I've seen people with the same card get triple my fps in DayZ :\

anti-duck

Honorable

Remember that DayZ is an online only game too, so a big part of performance is going to be based on latency. The only things that I found that slightly increased performance for me in Arma 2, Arma 3 and DayZ was overclocking and lowering view distances.

I know that any game using the Real Virtuality engine is also more dependant on the CPU (and then doesn't even make much use of it) than the GPU, you could have a GTX 750 and probably get the same performance as you are with a GTX 970 because as LukaBoki said; the engine is horrible and old.

Borge80

Reputable
Jul 14, 2014
My rig: gtx 970 max OC and i7 4790k 4.6ghz

The DAYZ SA runs like absolute crap. So does arma 3 multiplayer. 20% cpu usage 40% gpu usage in A3 WTF and horrible FPS in wasteland, talking 40-60fps even with draw distance at 3000 and settings lowered.

The problem with dayz is that it's horrendously cpu-limited at the moment, but in general the 4790k is more powerful than the AMD.

TRENDING THREADS