970 STRIX Safe Clocks?

LokeYourLord

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015
So i would like to know if these clocks i have in GPU Tweak II are safe to use for both of my 970 STRIX. Here the values:

2cgcgiqx.png

Are they safe to use?

GPU Boost Clock: 1800 (+547 from Stock)
Max GPU Voltage: 1213 (+38 from Stock)
Memory Clock: 8200 (+1190 from Stock)
Power Target: 110% (+10 from Stock)
GPU Temp Target: 85C° (+6 from Stock)

Fans adjust themselves with GPU Temp Target.

Thanks for the help :)

Solution
1. For the last few generations, nVidia has put so many restrictions on voltage adjustment (both physical and legal) they they have made it virtually impossible to break the card using any overclocking utility. You'd have to physically modify the card or use a hacked BIOS to do any damage.

2. That being said, you can create stress test stable overclocks that will fail miserably in many games. I always recommend starting where others have already spent hours tuning in their OC's .... not stress test, but gaming stable OCs. The Asus model generally falls into the middle of the pack.... MSI / Gigabyte both routinely break 1500.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_gtx_970_strix_review,26.html

With AfterBurner we...

Roti-Kebab

Reputable
May 12, 2015

i would suggest lowering your memory clocks, your GPU temps are your core, memory can burn up at very high temps and cause damage because memory temps are not shown/controlled. And your boost clocks are way too high, should be like 1500-1580

LokeYourLord

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015

Ok thanks, but why can i then choose up to 2000 something on GPU Boost Clock and 9999 on Memory Clock?

LokeYourLord

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015
So would 7500 for Memory Clock and 1580 for GPU Boost Clock work? And 110 Power Target and 85C° Temp Target? Oh and 1213 for Max GPU Voltage, or do you recommend something else? I wanna achieve the best i can get (i have the cooling power for it), so i want the absolute max i can achieve.

1. For the last few generations, nVidia has put so many restrictions on voltage adjustment (both physical and legal) they they have made it virtually impossible to break the card using any overclocking utility. You'd have to physically modify the card or use a hacked BIOS to do any damage.

2. That being said, you can create stress test stable overclocks that will fail miserably in many games. I always recommend starting where others have already spent hours tuning in their OC's .... not stress test, but gaming stable OCs. The Asus model generally falls into the middle of the pack.... MSI / Gigabyte both routinely break 1500.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_gtx_970_strix_review,26.html

With AfterBurner we applied:

Temp Target 80 Degrees C
GPU clock +150 MHz
Power limiter 120%
Mem clock +450 MHz
Volatge + 37 Mv
FAN RPM 50% (remains silent)

Overclocked
Core Clock 1264MHz
Boost Clock: ~1443MHz
Memory Clock: 8002 MHz

ASUS GTX 970 STRIX OC = Max Core 1290 MHz / 1990 MHz Memory*

1990 x 4 = 7960

3. Again, you can't thermally damage the card unless you out it in a sealed box or provide woefully inadequate air flow / case cooling. The 970 throttles at 80C .... something nVidia did to curtail it's performance since it was so close to the 980. The 980 and 980 Ti both throttle at 85C. If you go to high, the OC will simply not be stable.

Solution

LokeYourLord

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015

So if i get that right, i can set the Memory Clock to 7960, and set Temp Target to 80C° then? So what do i set Boost Clock, GPU Voltage and Power Target to then so i that i get the maximum out of it? Should i just fiddle around with it, or is there actually already someone that has found the perfect values?

I did also check that link you sent me for Guru3D, taking a deeper look at it now, thanks.