[SOLVED] 970 wont post

Jan 24, 2021
So i helped my buddy build a pc, his specs are
i5 4460
12 gb of DDR3
Some dell mobo that came in his pc
GTX 970
Aresgame 500W psu

The MOBO, CPU and ram all came with the pc. So we recently switched his old GPU for a 1650 with GDDR6, and it worked flawlessly. Then we decided to return the 1650 because we bought it for way to much money and we got the GTX 970 to replace it. BUT, when we put in this 970 it would not post at all. I tried it in 2 different pcs and it worked in both, but those pcs had better specs. I tried it on my rig and it booted up just fine, i then tried it on my brothers rig with worse specs and it booted up after like 2 minutes of not posting. Both of these pcs have DDR4 and a fairly new MOBO compared to my friends build. For a temporary solution, i have given him a GTX 1050 and it works just fine, but as soon as i swap that out for the 970, it doesn't post. I have tried resetting CMOS but do you guys have any other suggestions? Im just so confused because his mobo can handle a much newer gpu (the 1650) just fine and it can also handle a 720 (which was his first gpu) just fine even though a 720 is much older and a 1650 is much newer.

Solution
He had a much worse 400 watt psu from dell 2012. So i dont think thats really the problem, we also tried it with that old psu so idk, in my brothers pc he has an rx 580 8gb and the exact same psu. I also tested it in my brothers pc and it posted with the same psu as my friend, so its definitely not the psu
OEM motherboard are ussually very limited and hard to work on.They can sometimes work perfectly fine,but they can also be a real pain to troubleshoot.
I wanted to upgrade my cpu from i3 3240 to i7 3770 on a lenovo motherboard,and sadly the exact same thing occured with the i7 3770.No signal,everything is running fine,everthing lights up,fans spin,but no picture on the monitor.
Can you get your 1650 back?
Jan 24, 2021
970 has a higher TDP,try it with a different psu in his rig.
He had a much worse 400 watt psu from dell 2012. So i dont think thats really the problem, we also tried it with that old psu so idk, in my brothers pc he has an rx 580 8gb and the exact same psu. I also tested it in my brothers pc and it posted with the same psu as my friend, so its definitely not the psu

OEM motherboard are ussually very limited and hard to work on.They can sometimes work perfectly fine,but they can also be a real pain to troubleshoot.
I wanted to upgrade my cpu from i3 3240 to i7 3770 on a lenovo motherboard,and sadly the exact same thing occured with the i7 3770.No signal,everything is running fine,everthing lights up,fans spin,but no picture on the monitor.

Solution
Jan 24, 2021
Nah i cant, you think its the motherboard?

Jan 24, 2021
No idea honestly,but as i said,those motherboards are very limited and selective on what upgrades they allow,and which they not.
Try updating the bios and see if it works.
Alright well if updating bios doesnt work do you have any suggestions on cheap 4th gen mobos?

Jan 24, 2021
they are 80$ on used market.
Its Haswell chipset,which is still in use in big amount of computers,since it still can perform very well.
The only thing cheaper than that is a OEM board,which i dont tihkn you want to buy.
Alright well thank you for replying. I probably will just end up selling this 970 then and letting him use the 1050 for now...

Reactions: Dj0gany

TRENDING THREADS