Question 9700 cooler

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Stock aircoolers aren't adequate. Not for max or extreme. They'll handle nominal loads, around TDP, and keep temps @ 70's, but that's all.

What case will this be going into? Without that, or at least a case cpu cooler clearance height, it makes decisions kinda difficult. No point in suggesting coolers like the hyper212 at 159mm if the case only allows 152mm etc.

The i9-9700 under full load conditions is capable of @ 130w. For most budget coolers, that's 10ish watts under their rating. At full load conditions, you'll be into the 90°C range, throttle conditions.

That cpu really requires a 180w mid range cooler such as Cryorig H5, Scythe fuma2/mugen 5 Rev.b, beQuiet Darkrock 4/TF etc. Expect to pay @ $50+

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2019
Stock aircoolers aren't adequate. Not for max or extreme. They'll handle nominal loads, around TDP, and keep temps @ 70's, but that's all.

What case will this be going into? Without that, or at least a case cpu cooler clearance height, it makes decisions kinda difficult. No point in suggesting coolers like the hyper212 at 159mm if the case only allows 152mm etc.

im not sure yet but atleast 165mm
what cooler you suggest?

With 160mm clearance, you can use a noctua NH-D15s, a $80 cooler.
It has the cooling capability of a 240mm aio cooler without the mounting issues.
It will be easier to install, quieter, more reliable, require no maintenance

and...
it will never leak.

If your case has at least two 120/140mm front intakes, you will be able to adequately cool even a 9700K.

Remeca

Reputable
Why does everyone bash on stock HSF? They're engineered to handle the CPU they're paired with, and do a fine job of cooling for the most part. The only reason I would ever get anything else is purely aesthetics, or if I was going to OC. On my I7 4770, stock cooler keeps my cpu under 45 at idle, and under 70 under full load, turbo boosted to 3.9GHz.

No, the stock cooler is designed to be cheap primarily. And as you see, it isnt keeping the cpu cool.

A stock cooler on an i7 8700, 9700 or 9900 will have the cpu not turbo to its maximum because of thermals. These chips all exceed their tdp and the stocm hsf cannot cool them.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Intel does not care about your temps. The cpu doesn't care about your temps. The stock cooler is only there to provide cpu functionality with nominal loads and remain under throttle temps.

TDP is the amount of power in watts that a cpu will use at base clocks without hyperthreading or turbo averaged from a specific series of apps. That boils down to simple stuff like winzip, Office, websurfing and other light-medium loads. Because most cpus are measured with Intel cooling (who knows which or how much) and the results are generally within 5°C ± of watts used, TDP was adopted as thermal temp output.

Basically if you push a 95w TDP cpu to its limits of 95w usage you can expect a 100% load with the stock cooler to be 95°C ±, using nothing but base clocks.

Using full turbo speeds and voltages, the i9 9700 can hit 130w. The stock 110w cooler is in now way even remotely close to adequate and maintain temps anywhere close to sub-70's under moderate-full loads.

Why do ppl bash Intel stock coolers? Because in a word, they 'suck'. Nobody wants the volume of an undersized 4000rpm fan screaming at them when gaming, right before the fps tanks while the pc struggles to stay out of throttle/damage temps and shutdowns.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Why does everyone bash on stock HSF? They're engineered to handle the CPU they're paired with, and do a fine job of cooling for the most part. The only reason I would ever get anything else is purely aesthetics, or if I was going to OC. On my I7 4770, stock cooler keeps my cpu under 45 at idle, and under 70 under full load, turbo boosted to 3.9GHz.
No. Your definition of 'full load' is squewed. I'd wager a bet that if you actually did use a 'full load' program like Prime95 small fft torture test, that Intel stock HSF will not keep temps anywhere close to 70°C on a cpu that can generate an easy 100w. More than likely you'd see the cpu backing down to below base clock speeds just to maintain temps in the 90's, which is extremely likely to be causing permanent damage if left running for any length of time, if the cpu itself doesn't decide its too harmful and shut down instantly.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Remeca

Reputable
No. Your definition of 'full load' is squewed. I'd wager a bet that if you actually did use a 'full load' program like Prime95 small fft torture test, that Intel stock HSF will not keep temps anywhere close to 70°C on a cpu that can generate an easy 100w. More than likely you'd see the cpu backing down to below base clock speeds just to maintain temps in the 90's, which is extremely likely to be causing permanent damage if left running for any length of time, if the cpu itself doesn't decide its too harmful and shut down instantly.
Now I'm curious. I'll run the test, give me the parameters, unless I just run the prime95 test with default settings.

Remeca

Reputable
Run prime 95 latest version small fft test. Monitor temps wuth hw monitor.

I made a new thread about it.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13400/intel-9th-gen-core-i9-9900k-i7-9700k-i5-9600k-review/21
Focusing on the new Intel CPUs we have tested, both of them go beyond the TDP value, but do not hit PL2. At this level, the CPU is running all cores and threads at the all-core turbo frequency. Both 168.48W for the i9-9900K and 124.27W for the i7=9700K is far and above that ‘TDP’ rating noted above.

With all-core locked and OC, the 9700k can top 200w, and the 9900k can hit 250w @ 5.1GHz

But you might be right about the i7 9700 as that's a little known 65w varient, so little I could find really nothing on it that's seen any review.

About the only thing I could find was the 9700 is a CoffeeLake cpu, not a refresh, and it's closest equivalent is the i7 8700, except it has 2x additional cores. Since the 65w 8700 can hit 113w, I'd not be surprised if the 9700 exceeded that, just with the 2 core extra and additional 100MHz on turbo.

Last edited:
At least its not a 9590.
66158.png

The FX9590 laughs in the face of the 9900k with high power consumption.

Aug 31, 2019
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13400/intel-9th-gen-core-i9-9900k-i7-9700k-i5-9600k-review/21

With all-core locked and OC, the 9700k can top 200w, and the 9900k can hit 250w @ 5.1GHz

But you might be right about the i7 9700 as that's a little known 65w varient, so little I could find really nothing on it that's seen any review.

About the only thing I could find was the 9700 is a CoffeeLake cpu, not a refresh, and it's closest equivalent is the i7 8700, except it has 2x additional cores. Since the 65w 8700 can hit 113w, I'd not be surprised if the 9700 exceeded that, just with the 2 core extra and additional 100MHz on turbo.

this site reliable? because in other sites i see the power consumption 200w +