[SOLVED] 9700K 2080Ti super bad fps please help..

Apr 5, 2020
So i built this computer like 6-7 months ago and even then i felt fps weren't the best for what i had tried fixing it but never got fps i was happy with so i just dealt with it but i played fortnite today and i have stutters down to 10 or less and fps sits around 20- 220 MAX thats horrible and i don't know what to do

Solution
Well for starters 3 sticks of RAM stands out. Put 2 sticks in the correct slots per motherboard instructions and check that it actually runs in dual channel.
Apr 5, 2020
Please list full pc spec and briefly list everything you have tried. What resolution and Hz is your monitor?
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Jm2yyk (The ram is 3 sticks of 16Gb)

i haven't really tested games just know ive played apex pubg fortnite witcher alot of games and had what i think is bad fps for the specs i have 1920x1080 alienware 240hz

Cinemark 20: 3750
Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0
FPS:173.7
Score:4376
Min FPS:36.9
Max FPS:348.5
System
Platform:Windows NT 6.2 (build 9200) 64bit
CPU model:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz (3599MHz) x8
GPU model:NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 26.21.14.4575 (4095MB) x1

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2020
What are your cpu & gpu temperatures while gaming?

Are all motherboard and gpu drivers up to date?
My temps while running the benchmark was 83C i haven't updated my motherboard in a while so i don't know but i updated my gpu like 2 days ago so i think its up to date
I put my ram in the dual channel slots also im not really sure how to check if its running in dual channel though

My temps while running the benchmark was 83C i haven't updated my motherboard in a while so i don't know but i updated my gpu like 2 days ago so i think its up to date
I put my ram in the dual channel slots also im not really sure how to check if its running in dual channel though
Is that gpu or cpu temperature? Whichever it is we also need the other.

This article shows how to check for dual channel using CPU-Z https://techwiser.com/check-if-ram-is-dual-channel-windows-10/

Apr 5, 2020
Is that gpu or cpu temperature? Whichever it is we also need the other.

This article shows how to check for dual channel using CPU-Z https://techwiser.com/check-if-ram-is-dual-channel-windows-10/
Sorry about that Cpu:75C Gpu:83C, Ok the memory is running in dual channel and i tested out fortnite again and it is considerably better still getting huge dips but nothing like before not even close and even the bench mark score was 20fps higher

Its actually so much better thank you so much i knew about channels and everything just didn't know it was that big of a deal

Last edited:

bruvvamoff

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2012
Sorry about that Cpu:75C Gpu:83C, Ok the memory is running in dual channel and i tested out fortnite again and it is considerably better still getting huge dips but nothing like before not even close and even the bench mark score was 20fps higher

Its actually so much better thank you so much i knew about channels and everything just didn't know it was that big of a deal

So what did you actually change?
Just that I had a similar issue and it turned out because I was still using trial version of windows once I activated it downloaded an hour's worth of updates and then ran like a dream.
59 min 60 avg fps ultra gtav and far cry 5

Apr 5, 2020
So what did you actually change?
Just that I had a similar issue and it turned out because I was still using trial version of windows once I activated it downloaded an hour's worth of updates and then ran like a dream.
59 min 60 avg fps ultra gtav and far cry 5
All i did was take out one of my ram sticks