[SOLVED] 9700k or 3700x?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mel21

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Hi so i want to upgrade from my 6700k and i'll be giving it to my niece who plays minecraft, roblox and other games later on for kids.

I am conflicted on which one to get the 9700k or the 3700x
I've read a lot of post and I still can't decide some post says that the 3700x loses on game performance? (also seeing a lot of post about heating issue with this cpu) and that if I want purely just gaming and milk the fps then get the 9700k? but this cpu also has heating issues or has higher temp? unlike the 3700x and I'll need to upgrade my hyper 212 LED to a beefier or better cooler? Is it okay if I use the hyper 212 if i don't OC? and just use stock

I can't decide which one to get. I can't really find anyone on youtube that has this setup that shows low, medium, high settings on various games.
I am not one of those people that cares about maxing all my settings to high/ultra for that "gaming experience" since I am a cs player if you play cs or any knowledge about cs then you know a lot of us play on low settings its just what i grew accustomed to and when I play other games I either play medium settings or low for more fps and more smooth gaming.

I don't do any editing or any of that sort, tbh I thought about it LONG time ago but never really bothered with it all these years so I honestly don't plan to start now.
I've been asking my friends also some say the 9700k (fanboyish is the reason) some says 3700x (also fanboyish) but both had their reasons like for the intel just pure gaming and more fps, for AMD future proof for future games that will start using more cores? and for multi-tasking & streaming.

I do like AMD for future proof but i don't do any heavy multi-tasking just your regular (discord & chrome for watching streams/browsing, when gaming I only have discord open and close chrome since i dont need it) or streaming I just get on at night and game for a few hours then thats it lol

I've never OC any cpu in my life and don't really plan to since I have no interest in it and don't want to risk having issues later.

Honestly I just want to just purely game now a days. Any advice on which CPU to get?

Also my specs right now is

i7-6700k w/ Hyper 212 LED
EVGA 1080 FTW (Don't plan on upgrading it till new gpu comes out and hoping the 2070/2080 goes down in prices)
16gb ram 3000mhz
750watts powersupply

Last edited:
Solution
If building a new system, I think AMD is the only way to go today. Socket 1200 (400-series motherboards) supports Comet Lake and Rocket Lake CPUs only, and Socket 1700 is expected to be out next year. While Rocket Lake is not out yet, preliminary leaked benchmarks do not show any significant gains over 10th generation Comet Lake CPUs which in themselves are not a significant upgrade over 9th generation. You do get extra cores at the expense of tremendous power consumption. Consequently, high end parts require expensive cooling solutions, and top notch power supplies.

On the AMD front, an x570 motherboard gives you ability to upgrade to 4000 Ryzens which are likely to have 15% faster IPC and be more efficient. (judging by the 2000 to...

mel21

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
For pure gaming a 10600k, without a doubt. If you want to do any kind of video editing, and such, 3700x. I don't expect the 10700 to do any better, than the 10400 does, due to slower ram speeds, that a B460 platform would force you into.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10600K 4.1 GHz 6-Core Processor ($299.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z490 AORUS ELITE ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $579.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-02 12:59 EDT-0400

I see isnt the mobo a bit expensive? The 10700non-k + mobo & cooler is $114 cheaper from this i5 list

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I remember when DDR4 first dropped, think that was the day before yesterday, the 4th gen Devils Canyon platforms on DDR3 were stomping mud holes in Skylake performance. Technically the Skylake were faster cpus, but real life put the lie to that piece of paper. There was no competition between the 1866/10 or 2133/12 DDR3 and the 2133/18 DDR4.

New tech isn't always better than old tech, just ask Broadwell when it was released, or better yet the fantastic idea of the 8 core/4 node FX that was supposed to wow the world.

Nobody got 3200MHz out of a 1000 series Ryzen using SkHynix based ram, you were lucky to get 2400 at best.

mel21

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Around 200USD is what you'd look to pay for a decent Z-series mobo. Also remember that just about everything's jacked up because of 'human malware'.

Yeah thats true even the z390 mobos are still expensive which is one of my cons with the i7-i9 9th gen. While amd mobos arent as expensive as intels.

mel21

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
I remember when DDR4 first dropped, think that was the day before yesterday, the 4th gen Devils Canyon platforms on DDR3 were stomping mud holes in Skylake performance. Technically the Skylake were faster cpus, but real life put the lie to that piece of paper. There was no competition between the 1866/10 or 2133/12 DDR3 and the 2133/18 DDR4.

New tech isn't always better than old tech, just ask Broadwell when it was released, or better yet the fantastic idea of the 8 core/4 node FX that was supposed to wow the world.

I didnt know any of this! actually good info thanks

Lol yeah this was my thinking even if the ddr5 is supposed to be better we dont know that yet since its not out and a lot of work/tweaking/updating is still needed to be done before we can actually know its the best.

“New tech isn't always better than old tech”
My way of thinking wasnt wrong then lol agreed to this

Many thanks!

Reactions: Phaaze88

Mickieg1994

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
I see yeah ive noticed my ram getting to 3-4 already when i have multiple twitch streams on since chromes such a ram hog 😒 32gb make sense then. I usually play FPS games like csgo, valorant, r6, Tarkov and sometimes modded minecraft and as i mentioned from the og post that i dont really care much for maxing my settings medium for me is fine as long as i get that smooth gaming especially for fps like csgo i play that in all Low settings lol but for cod and tarkov the fps is okay-ish but wish it could be better hence why i want to upgrade from my 6700k.

Will also keep this is mind and will keep reading more advice since i am actually not in a rush and could wait maybe another month or 2 if i dont see any price drop from these cpu’s. 3700x already drop to 275 from 285 so thats + and could use the rest $$ for a 32gb.

Thanks

Yea it is really surprising how quickly it can fill up, especially with chrome as it uses your ram as i giant cache for all the tabs you have open, my machine is using 5.4gb with youtube, whatsapp and movie streaming, at the moment 16 is fine for the games you playing

That is a great position to be in, especially as prices are all over the place right now, i got my 2700x for £150, from amazon about 6 weeks ago, the price went back up to £200 a few days later and now in the uk, they are well over £200 or unavailable, so if those prices reflect yours at all, it's best to wait until they come back down in price

Thanks if its not much of a big difference then i could keep my current ram
Well, since you had mentioned competitive gaming, its FPS that matters the most over there. Those extra few frames can be the difference between winning and not. And Intel does win in those frames. Its why most competitive gamers prefer Intel platform.
But since you are going AMD, which is no slouch by the way, when it comes to competitive gaming you do lose some mileage and sacrificing a few more FPS over and above, wont really make much difference to a lost cause if you are fine with it.
In the grand scheme of things, i must say AMD is pretty good compared to Intel, and most definitely better value.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

mel21

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Well, since you had mentioned competitive gaming, its FPS that matters the most over there. Those extra few frames can be the difference between winning and not. And Intel does win in those frames. Its why most competitive gamers prefer Intel platform.
But since you are going AMD, which is no slouch by the way, when it comes to competitive gaming you do lose some mileage and sacrificing a few more FPS over and above, wont really make much difference to a lost cause if you are fine with it.
In the grand scheme of things, i must say AMD is pretty good compared to Intel, and most definitely better value.

Well not much of competitive gaming since i actually stop playing competitive cs like esea or faceit a while ago and more like having fun playing with friends now a days. I am leaning more towards AMD since the price difference is really hitting me but i still an open mind to other list.

Is it really a big fps difference? Since games like CSGO is more CPU bound I expected that AMD would be great for it when it comes to FPS. Am I understanding something different/wrong? People do say that they’d be losing some FPS but no info on how much do I actually lose?

My 6700k still hits 250-300 FPS on a normal 5v5 Pugs/MM but I also play on a public server that gets very populated at night 32/32 slot and my fps goes down really bad with that many people especially on other maps for example de_cache with 26+ to 32 people with smoke grenades my fps dips all the way to 70-80fps lol still playable but screen tearing is an issue without smoke and less ppl alive my fps is around 160-170.

People who do benchmarks on the 3700x usually do all high settings and with a 2080ti and uses the csgo benchmark map or make their own server with bots which doesnt actually compare when people are playing on actual servers since it depends on what map and smoke grenades are a big factor that makes your fps dip. Hence why i am having trouble which one to actually go for and idk how it affects other fps games also since its always 1080p or 4K max settings with a high end gpu 😑

mel21

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Yeah, and after giving this a look, those fps obsessed folks look even more ridiculous.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDGWijdBDvM

And I'm like, "Really? That's just for e-peen bragging rights."
Plus, AMD and Nvidia's gpus have low latency features now, so the excuse of lower input latency is useless now.

Yeah again with the csgo benchmark playing on a private server with bots wont really give the correct information on how much fps youre actually getting. They can join public servers and test it but for whatever reason they dont and i dont understand. 🤷‍♂️

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah again with the csgo benchmark playing on a private server with bots wont really give the correct information on how much fps youre actually getting. They can join public servers and test it but for whatever reason they dont and i dont understand. 🤷‍♂️
Doing so adds more variables to the testing platform and can make the results vary wildly.
The fewer variables, the more accurate the testing can be for a wider audience.

Being that Steve lives out in The Down Under, I'd imagine his connection to servers in other countries won't be fantastic...

logainofhades

Titan
B460 supports upto 2933mhz. He already has 16gb of 3000mhz.

It is still going to be slower, as it cannot overclock. The 10600k is supposedly stupid easy to OC. Based on reviews of the 10400, they are probably going to want faster ram, regardless of going Intel, or AMD. A 3300x with DDR4 3200, can edge out a 10400, with 2666. It would be roughly equal, IMO, at 2933, at best. The locked Intel chips, and non z chipset, should really be avoided, until Intel learns to at least add support for ram overclocking.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csFwlKgZCzM

InvalidError

Titan
Since you aren't in a rush to upgrade, wait for H470 boards on Intel's side and B550 boards on AMD's side before buying. If you have no intention of overclocking, you may need to wait a little while longer for the non-enthusiast board variants to save an extra $30-50 since motherboard manufacturers tend to push their everything-including-multiple-kitchen-sinks models first.

logainofhades

Titan
If not going to overclock, I would go with B550, and the 3700x. Just enable PBO, in the bios, and let the CPU do it's thing. Another bonus, of the 3700x, is you don't need to buy a cooler, so that is something to consider.

I wouldn't shy away, from overclocking, with the 10600k, though. My understanding is 5.0ghz, all core, really simple.

I prefer AMD, but you really cannot go wrong, either way. With the GPU that you have, and the ones you are considering, you aren't going to tell much of a difference, between the two, anyway. The big factor, will be if games keep trending towards using more cores/threads.

It is still going to be slower, as it cannot overclock. The 10600k is supposedly stupid easy to OC. Based on reviews of the 10400, they are probably going to want faster ram, regardless of going Intel, or AMD. A 3300x with DDR4 3200, can edge out a 10400, with 2666. It would be roughly equal, IMO, at 2933, at best. The locked Intel chips, and non z chipset, should really be avoided, until Intel learns to at least add support for ram overclocking.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csFwlKgZCzM
OP is actually not interested in OC, which he has mentioned clearly, else I would have definitely suggested z490. I am aware of the benefits of the faster speeds.

logainofhades

Titan
OP is actually not interested in OC, which he has mentioned clearly, else I would have definitely suggested z490.

Yea, I caught that later on, though I think that is something that should be done, on Intel. Intel's higher clocks are really what is helping it win, in the gaming arena. Those locked Intel CPU's really are a poor value. Seeing a 3300x beat a 10400, because of ram speed alone, was kinda sad, as the 3300x is only a $120 cpu.

mel21

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Since you aren't in a rush to upgrade, wait for H470 boards on Intel's side and B550 boards on AMD's side before buying. If you have no intention of overclocking, you may need to wait a little while longer for the non-enthusiast board variants to save an extra $30-50 since motherboard manufacturers tend to push their everything-including-multiple-kitchen-sinks models first.

Lol at the kitchen sink model mobos, and so true i just want a mobo that has more than 4 usb ports on the back and dont care for RGB’s and other nonsense that they try to add to make it more expensive 😒
Thanks will keep this in mind!

mel21

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Yea, I caught that later on, though I think that is something that should be done, on Intel. Intel's higher clocks are really what is helping it win, in the gaming arena. Those locked Intel CPU's really are a poor value. Seeing a 3300x beat a 10400, because of ram speed alone, was kinda sad, as the 3300x is only a $120 cpu.

Ive never OC before but if i ever do i’ll probably have someone with more experienced do it for me, as i am not confident enough to do it myself. We’ll see though if i go intel or amd still have a lot of time to decide.

TRENDING THREADS