[SOLVED] 9700k or 8700k or 8086k ?

Solution
Debatable.

The 9700K is a bit stronger, as it's just a refresh..... but it also drops hyperthreading in favour of a strict 8 cores.
In tasks that will only utilize 8 cores, it should outperform.
Anything that can take advantage of hyperthreading though, the 6c/12t nature of the 8700K or 8086K should see it win out.
The 8086K is just a better binned 8700K... so technically "better".

So
9700K or 8086K > 8700K, depending on the tasks.

Relative to cost though, the 8700K probably makes the most sense.

"Future Proof" is a myth. By the any of those CPUs are obsolete, the others will be too. They're essentially all slight variations of the same thing.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Debatable.

The 9700K is a bit stronger, as it's just a refresh..... but it also drops hyperthreading in favour of a strict 8 cores.
In tasks that will only utilize 8 cores, it should outperform.
Anything that can take advantage of hyperthreading though, the 6c/12t nature of the 8700K or 8086K should see it win out.
The 8086K is just a better binned 8700K... so technically "better".

So
9700K or 8086K > 8700K, depending on the tasks.

Relative to cost though, the 8700K probably makes the most sense.

"Future Proof" is a myth. By the any of those CPUs are obsolete, the others will be too. They're essentially all slight variations of the same thing.

Solution
I wouldn't bother with an 8086K. It's nearly the same CPU as an 8700K, only at a higher price. And at stock settings, it's only slightly faster at single-core tasks, as the multi-core boost clocks are identical. At least the 9700K's multi-core boosts are slightly higher. In any case, I would be surprised if anyone could distinguish a performance difference between any of these i7s. So, the 8700K might arguably be "best" from a value perspective. Or maybe even the 8700 (non-K) if one has no intention of overclocking, since its boost clocks are only about 2% behind the 8700K, provided its inadequate stock cooler is replaced with something better to avoid throttling.

For something like gaming, unless you are already going with a very high-end graphics card, the roughly $100 difference between an 8700 and a 9700K would arguably be better put toward graphics, which will generally make a more appreciable performance difference.

What other hardware do you plan on pairing it with, and what kind of hardware are you coming from?

ozren94

Prominent
Jun 13, 2018
i will pairing with Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON AC motherboard or PRIME Z370-A or asrock z370 kiler sli or ASRock Z370 Fatal1ty Gaming K6 i will see price with 2x8gb ddr4 3200 mhz and with RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO.One question do I need it 4x8gb 3200 mhz 32 gb or there will be enough 16gb ram.

I7-9700K will be as good as it gets for gaming; I would buy that.
Gaming performance will be equivalent to i9-9900K.

The K does not come with a cooler.
Buy a well ventilated case and use a noctua NH-D15s for a cooler.

i7-8700K and i7-8086k are equivalent; the price premium for a 8086K just buys you a better binned chip.
Neither will be as good as a i7-9700K

As to ram, a 2 x 8gb kit of 3200 speed is about right.

ozren94

Prominent
Jun 13, 2018

DARK ROCK PRO 4 silent high-end Air coolers from be quiet! is good air cooler or noctua 15?

DRP4 Pro is about as good as the NH-D15 and NH-D15s.
The DRP4 needs 163mm and may have an issue with tall ram.
The NH-D15 needs 165mm and may also impact ram.
Both may have trouble with graphics cards in the first pcie x16 slot depending on the motherboard.
The NH-D15s needs 160mm and is redesigned to clear ram and graphics cards.

Future proofing is a myth.

Also I’d go Ryzen if you’re concerned over the future. At least when Gen 3 comes out you won’t have to buy a new board. Unlike Intel when 10nm eventually... maybe comes out. Plus intel CPU prices are insane for now.

ozren94

Prominent
Jun 13, 2018

I will wait intel price i wont buy now.

xxxlun4icexxx

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

It's a shame that there was a 14mm shortage (not sure how much truth there is to that) otherwise you could have probably gotten a really good deal on an 8700k cyber monday/black friday. At the beginning of this year I think newegg had them for around 300.00.

Why wait for intel? Next gen Ryzen might actually overtake intels IPC advantage and reduce the gaming deficit to around par. You don’t have to spend 200 on a board and you get more threads for other workloads. Intel, unless you’re going for 240Hz gaming, makes zero sense until they come out with a new process and even then it depends where AMD are.

It's not 'nearly' the same thing it is the same thing. It's the exact same chip. A good 8700K overclocks about the same as a good 8086K. You're just more likely to get a better chip when you buy an 8086k. But as long as you get 5GHz which I've heard is very common on the 8700K it makes little difference anyway.

I would get whichever is cheapest or most convenient to buy. Or if you would feel better mentally knowing you have a 9th gen 8 core CPU go with the 9700K. A lot of The whole upgrade itch issue is just in a lot of people's heads. It's a mental thing. I don't know if the advertising gets to them or what.

Well, it's "nearly the same" in that it comes configured with a slightly higher single-core boost if someone is not overclocking, and it should be binned to increase the chances of a slightly better overclock if they are. But yeah, either way it doesn't make much sense for its price, especially since a 9700K can be had for less, and will tend to be slightly faster in most software.

Yeah the clock speeds are different but what I'm saying is it's the same thing clock speeds aside. It's exactly the same chip. As far as I know there's nothing different about it except the name and the clock speed. And you're lucky to get 100MHz more out of it when overclocking. It makes no sense unless you're a collector or you won it. For non overclockers the 8700 will suffice. The extra clockspeed you get with the 8086K isn't worth the hefty price premium even if you're not overclocking. I personally would not get intel anymore until they come out with something amazing. It's looking like it'll be 2020 at least before we get 10nm. AMD is going to be on 7nm. I know it's not the same as Intel's process but 7nm from AMD seems to be pretty close to 10nm from Intel. So AMD is going to beat Intel to the punch. And AMD may well take the lead. Though I suspect Intel may regain that lead with 10nm but it's going to be close.