Question 9700k or 8700k

brotherwhoneedshelp

Commendable
Nov 2, 2018
More threads for "future proofing" or more cores? I have heard some say 8700k because of the 16 thread count and that games could potentially be optimised for that in the future and I have also heard people say more cores is better for gaming. So I'm not sure. Hope you guys can help me decide.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The 8700K is a 6core/12thread chip...

It's impossible to predict the future, but I would expect 12 threads to have slightly better longevity than a strict 8 cores...... but we're a long ways away from that being much of a problem.

Game developers over the next X years are still going to have to account for the fact there's a lot of 4-8 core/thread parts out there, and they'd be doing themselves a disservice to alienate that market share any time soon.

There may well come a time in the 8700K/9700Ks lifespan(s) where one will outpeform the other..... but I wouldn't expect the difference to be great at all.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
You should read some of the many reviews out.

Intel i7-9700K vs. 8700K

i7-9700K 9th Gen CPU Review
Intel Core i7-9700K Review
Intel Core i7 9700K processor review

You fail to take into account a few things.

1. IPC gains per series
  2. API Cycles typically 2-3 years

What do all of those reviews have in common if gaming is your only concern?

Diminishing returns above a 6C/6T CPU

Will API's every make use of anything you can toss at them? Yes, but you are 1-2 cycles away from that so if your a gamer that only wants max settings and max FPS then regardless you are going to look at upgrading your CPU and GPU every 2-3 years.

As far as what is better between a 9700K and 8700K well I would actually say a 9600K or one of the new Ryzen chips offers a much better value for the money.

brotherwhoneedshelp

Commendable
Nov 2, 2018
You should read some of the many reviews out.
Intel i7-9700K vs. 8700K
i7-9700K 9th Gen CPU Review
Intel Core i7-9700K Review
Intel Core i7 9700K processor review

You fail to take into account a few things.

1. IPC gains per series
  2. API Cycles typically 2-3 years
What do all of those reviews have in common if gaming is your only concern?

Diminishing returns above a 6C/6T CPU

Will API's every make use of anything you can toss at them? Yes, but you are 1-2 cycles away from that so if your a gamer that only wants max settings and max FPS then regardless you are going to look at upgrading your CPU and GPU every 2-3 years.

As far as what is better between a 9700K and 8700K well I would actually say a 9600K or one of the new Ryzen chips offers a much better value for the money.

I don't care about AMD ever again unless they get their sh*t together. In fact I have a 3700X right next to me screaming at me with high temps and weird extremely annoying temp spikes. I'm returning it losing ~72€.

9600k won't give me the performance I'm looking for.

Edit: I actually watched Gamers Nexus video on 8700k vs 9700k and the obvious choice is 9700k for gaming. 8700k for workloads like blender. I use the GPU while rendering.

Last edited:
For me the 9700K even though I have the mighty 8700K which is stellar and overclocks with ease...Why the 9700K, for gaming the straight 8 cores are just fantastic and the 9700K even gives the 9900K a run for it's money and is only fractions behind. It will also overclock to 5GHz with comparative ease with good cooling of course and will last the term before your next upgrade. For gaming, this is the CPU and it is on sale right now at $299....

For a pure gaming, high FPS and high res, the 9700K matched to a good GPU it will push the best frame rates...

Reactions: brotherwhoneedshelp

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
I don't care about AMD ever again unless they get their sh*t together. In fact I have a 3700X right next to me screaming at me with high temps and weird extremely annoying temp spikes. I'm returning it losing ~72€.

In every review you pull up they will all show you a 8700K trailing behind

Then neither will an 8700K and a 9700K will struggle as well. I'm guessing your aiming at 144+ FPS with max to near max settings?

Temps on a 3700X? Not sure what you got going on, too much voltage? Improper cooler installation? Poor cooler choice? Most of them will do around 4.35ghz @ 1.4V with a DH15 and stay below 72°C while gaming.

Reactions: Barty1884

brotherwhoneedshelp

Commendable
Nov 2, 2018
In every review you pull up they will all show you a 8700K trailing behind

Then neither will an 8700K and a 9700K will struggle as well. I'm guessing your aiming at 144+ FPS with max to near max settings?

Temps on a 3700X? Not sure what you got going on, too much voltage? Improper cooler installation? Poor cooler choice? Most of them will do around 4.35ghz @ 1.4V with a DH15 and stay below 72°C while gaming.

I'm running stock cooler with NT-H1 paste and lian li pc o-11 dynamic with three high static pressure Noctua fans mounted on the side. Room temp is 19c very chill it's winter here, so there is no problem with cooling. It's not just me with this issue a lot of people with zen2 cpus have reported very similar issue.

Edit: everything stock

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
I'm running stock cooler with NT-H1 paste and lian li pc o-11 dynamic with three high static pressure Noctua fans mounted on the side. Room temp is 19c very chill it's winter here, so there is no problem with cooling. It's not just me with this issue a lot of people with zen2 cpus have reported very similar issue.

Edit: everything stock
Well, you answered that for yourself and if you read what other people said you would have upgraded your cooler to start with. ;) Those stock coolers are okayish for basic operations and moderate gaming but not at all for any kind of overclocking or high performance.

brotherwhoneedshelp

Commendable
Nov 2, 2018
Well, you answered that for yourself and if you read what other people said you would have upgraded your cooler to start with. ;) Those stock coolers are okayish for basic operations and moderate gaming but not at all for any kind of overclocking or high performance.

Bought new cooler today and installed it (Cryorig H7). Now instead of having 36-38c at "Idle "(meaning i do absolutely nothing not even mouse movement) I'm having 31-35 according to Ryzen Master and according to HWiNFO64 i'm having mid 30s to low 40s Celsius: BUT here is the big but, IF i move my mouse or open up a browser it goes to low 40s according to RM and according to HWiNFO mid 40s to mid 50s even recorded max temo of 61c. HWiNFO readings are very inconsistent. So these temperature fluctuating are still present, but with lower temps.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Bought new cooler today and installed it (Cryorig H7). Now instead of having 36-38c at "Idle "(meaning i do absolutely nothing not even mouse movement) I'm having 31-35 according to Ryzen Master and according to HWiNFO64 i'm having mid 30s to low 40s Celsius: BUT here is the big but, IF i move my mouse or open up a browser it goes to low 40s according to RM and according to HWiNFO mid 40s to mid 50s even recorded max temo of 61c. HWiNFO readings are very inconsistent. So these temperature fluctuating are still present, but with lower temps.

It's normal to see core spikes for a few seconds at a time, do you realize how many processes are running in the background at once all of the time? Windows ropes cores into groups of two then schedule tasks to the fastest available set so instead of seeing 8+ cores all drudging with a minimum load you get two that have caffeine induce heavy metal workout every few seconds. The only temps you should concern yourself with are what you're getting under full load when gaming across all cores and not just random core sets doing windows tasks.

Reactions: CompuTronix