9700k overclocking setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

slippyjim

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2012
Hi,

Is the Asus TUF Z390-PLUS GAMING motherboard and Noctua NH D-15 good enough to overclock a 9700k to 5GHz on all cores, assuming the silicon lottery is kind to me?

Also looking at MSI Z390-A PRO motherboard.

I did read that the cooler can interfere with the RAM unless they are low profile, is this true?

If not what motherboard should I be going for?

Thanks

Solution
Expecting a full time 5Ghz OC on ANY motherboard, using the 9700k, is probably unrealistic without some pretty exceptional cooling, and even with that there is a good chance of VRM throttling. That CPU is already riding the very edge of it's upper stability threshold for most samples. And the Plus gaming isn't a particularly highly recommended board for high overclocks.

If you want to try your hand at a 5Ghz OC I'd look at boards from about the Z390-A and go up from there.
Expecting a full time 5Ghz OC on ANY motherboard, using the 9700k, is probably unrealistic without some pretty exceptional cooling, and even with that there is a good chance of VRM throttling. That CPU is already riding the very edge of it's upper stability threshold for most samples. And the Plus gaming isn't a particularly highly recommended board for high overclocks.

If you want to try your hand at a 5Ghz OC I'd look at boards from about the Z390-A and go up from there.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS