[SOLVED] 9700K overheating without oc

May 24, 2020
Hello newb here,

I was using 8600K and dark rock 3 cooler before without any problem. when my upgrade time comes, i'm facing more problems than i can count. I bought 9700K, RTX 2080 Super and Corsair H115i liquid coolers. after I installed my new liquid cooler, the processor temperature hit 100 degrees and my computer turned itself off. My liquid cooler pump was faulty and I had to send it to RMA. The main problem is that I put on my old fan, dark rock 3, but I still have a heat problem. When I write this message, my processor celsius is 41 degrees as I see it from hwmonitor. But whenever I try to enter a game, I can feel the temperature from the side of my case and see 90 and 100 degrees from the hwmonitor. Can you help me find out what my problem is from? Is it because my case has a single fan or Is my motherboard not enough? Meanwhile when re-installing my stock fan back I couldn't assemble one of the corners because the screw was missing. Could this be the reason for overheating?

Asus Z370 TUF-Plus Gaming
Intel i7 9700K
MSI RTX 2080 Super
Gskill Trident Z 3000MHz
Dark Rock 3 Stock Cooler
FSP HD700 700W PSu
Phanteks P400S Case
Windows 10

Last edited:
Solution
The Hyper212 series was thought to be marginal even with a 7700K, or so I read...

I'd research others' experiences with on a 9700K before ordering it...

(I put a Noctua NH-D15 on a 9700K build a few months back, and, at stock clocks (4.6 GHz all core turbo) it would hit about 67C under moderately heavy all core loads...; as the owner was not gaming at all, I did not discuss an MCE or overclock options,as certainly 4.9 GHz on 1-2 cores, 4.8 GHz on 3 or 4 cores, etc., was more than adequate for his Facebook and surfing needs)
Sure, having a screw loose your heatsink may not have enough pressure for even contact so yes, also may want to check the fan curve on your motherboard. a silent or eco setting may not be enough for gaming. 41'C is perfectly normal at idle but gaming you probably want to check all cores with a utility like CoreTemp

May 24, 2020
Sure, having a screw loose your heatsink may not have enough pressure for even contact so yes, also may want to check the fan curve on your motherboard. a silent or eco setting may not be enough for gaming. 41'C is perfectly normal at idle but gaming you probably want to check all cores with a utility like CoreTemp

I really hope this is the only reason for overheating. I will order the Hyper 212 Black and try it with it.

Hello newb here,
Meanwhile when re-installing my stock fan back I couldn't assemble one of the corners because the screw was missing. Could this be the reason for overheating?

Asus Z370 TUF-Plus Gaming
Intel i7 9700K
MSI RTX 2080 Super
Gskill Trident Z 3000MHz
Dark Rock 3 Stock Cooler
FSP HD700 700W PSu
Phanteks P400S Case
Windows 10
Yes that absolutely could be your problem.

The Hyper212 series was thought to be marginal even with a 7700K, or so I read...

I'd research others' experiences with on a 9700K before ordering it...

(I put a Noctua NH-D15 on a 9700K build a few months back, and, at stock clocks (4.6 GHz all core turbo) it would hit about 67C under moderately heavy all core loads...; as the owner was not gaming at all, I did not discuss an MCE or overclock options,as certainly 4.9 GHz on 1-2 cores, 4.8 GHz on 3 or 4 cores, etc., was more than adequate for his Facebook and surfing needs)

Solution