[SOLVED] 9700K with Noctua NHD-15S

FaithOnHuman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2015
For those who are looking for a solid CPU cooler. I was having a 212 Evo on my 9700k no oc and the idle temps were 50-55C. I changed the CPU cooler and the 2 case fans with the Noctua 15s (CPU cooler) and nfs12a (case) and the idle temps are 30. Maybe my Evo was broken Idk but the differences in noise and thermals are significant! I will edit this thread when I stress test the CPU with AIDA64.

Solution
If you really want to see what a 9700k can do, use Prime95 small fft and leave AVX technologies enabled. That'll put a 100% constant cpu load, something which aida64 doesn't, it'll bounce between 80% and 100% spikes. With AVX technologies enabled the cpu at 100% load will respond like it's at @ 130% load, entirely possible with some applications. For gaming temps, turn off AVX. Either way will show truly what that cpu can do.

You'll find the hyper212 woefully inadequate.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The hyper212 is a 140w budget cooler. The NH-D15S is a 250w+ rated performance machine. The 9700k can reach 200w output. 'just not big enough' is somewhat of an understatement. The budget cooler class simply has no business being even a consideration on that class of cpu.

Be like putting the rims/tires from a Toyota Yaris on a Formula One race car.

FaithOnHuman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2015
The hyper212 is a 140w budget cooler. The NH-D15S is a 250w+ rated performance machine. The 9700k can reach 200w output. 'just not big enough' is somewhat of an understatement. The budget cooler class simply has no business being even a consideration on that class of cpu.

Be like putting the rims/tires from a Toyota Yaris on a Formula One race car.

True! But that trusty EVO in full load kept the temps low... 70C! After all it’s an amazing cooler, it works with 9700k fine but for those who need lower temps the 15s is a great choice

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If you really want to see what a 9700k can do, use Prime95 small fft and leave AVX technologies enabled. That'll put a 100% constant cpu load, something which aida64 doesn't, it'll bounce between 80% and 100% spikes. With AVX technologies enabled the cpu at 100% load will respond like it's at @ 130% load, entirely possible with some applications. For gaming temps, turn off AVX. Either way will show truly what that cpu can do.

You'll find the hyper212 woefully inadequate.

Reactions: FaithOnHuman
Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ye. It was. Years ago when the original 212 was introduced, it was a 140w cooler with a 120mm fan, priced the same as many 110-120w, 92mm coolers. Guaranteed success, and stayed around the $25-$30 price point for years. You couldn't touch its performance per $. Now that prices are $35-$45 and the competition is too, coolers like the Cryorig H7 are killing it, even coolers like the 92mm Raijintek Aidos are getting same temps. It's become lackluster in comparison, but still enjoys its famous name.

Reactions: FaithOnHuman