Question 9700K Won’t Run Above 4.5Ghz Under AVX Load

Sep 20, 2019
I’m working on my first OC on a new 9700K build on a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro motherboard and I can’t seem to get my chip to run above 4.5Ghz under AVX loads (Prime95).

I’ve been able to get Cinebench to run stable at 5.0Ghz and 1.405V, but I can’t get Prime95 to run unless I drop AVX offset all the way to 5.

I’ve found that I can get Prime95 to run with various combinations of CPU frequency and AVX offset that add up to 4.5Ghz, but any combination where the frequency runs above 4.5Ghz under AVX load crashes my system.

I’ve tested this with turbo and extreme LLC, as well as higher voltages with no luck.

Am I doing something wrong or did I just get unlucky with my chip?

Assuming I can’t get Prime95 to run above 4.5Ghz am I better off keeping my non-AVX loads at 5.0Ghz and using a -5 offset, or should I drop everything to 4.5Ghz with no offset or go somewhere in between?

I’m mainly worried about CPU performance for exporting in Lightroom and Premiere Pro, so not sure what the best settings would be for that.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2019
Prime95 is generally a heat test but also tests stability. You should run realbench for 8 hours on your overclock to test stability.

Thanks, I’m gonna try that as soon as I get home tonight. Should I not worry about getting my OC stable in Prime95 then if I can get it stable in Realbench?

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2019
So after a ton more testing in Realbench, Cinebench and Prime95 I’ve come to the conclusion that the stock settings are gonna be better than any overclock I can get. At stock the chip runs at 4.6Ghz at 1.34V with temps in the 70s in RealBench and Cinebench and temps in the 90s in Prime95.

I can’t seem to get any of my overclocks stable above 4.6Ghz with AVX offset anyway and certainly not at low enough voltages. I can do 5.0Ghz - 5 AVX at 1.42V or 4.9Ghz - 4 AVX at 1.44V but that’s just wont work for long term.

Guess I lost the silicone lottery, but at the least I’m happy to see the chip run so we’ll at stock. I’m not gonna really notice a few missing megahertz and it’ll save me the worry of frying my chip over time anyway.

Reactions: Endre

Jdye34

Commendable
Apr 15, 2019
these are poor speeds for a 9700k? What LLC level are you running and do you get Vdroop under load?? it might be that you need to increase LLC to keep voltage more stable under heavy load. Also my XMP profile on my maximus xi hero put VCIOO and VCSSA (NOT SURE IF THEY ARE 100% CORRECT ABBREVIATIONS) far too high causing instabilities, reeling these back to a more sensible 1.25-1.3v helped my overclocks.

TRENDING THREADS