Question 970A SLI Krait edition motherboard not booting after BIOS update

Jan 25, 2020
I updated my BIOS because there were no settings available under the general BIOS settings menu after a CMOS reset and boot device names were showing up as "??" in the setup menu so I decided to update my BIOS using MSI's live update. Now I'm here with a black screen on start up and no keyboard input at all.

Try a different type of video output from your graphics card. You may have to use VGA until you can get it sorted, IF you can get it sorted. This is exactly why we don't recommend using desktop or online versions of BIOS update utilities. You should ALWAYS use the BIOS update utility that is IN the BIOS. Always. No exceptions.

ASUS and MSI have even released recommendations AGAINST using their automatic update utilities in favor of using EZ flash (ASUS) or Mflash (MSI).

I've seen some cases where black screens after updating were not bricked but were simply not able to be seen using HDMI or Displayport, so try VGA or DVI if possible to see if there is any display at all.

If there is not display output no matter what kind of output you use, then it's likely your board is bricked. If you took the time to make a BIOS backup on a USB flash drive you may be able to recover it by doing the following.

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=174985.0

Jan 25, 2020
Try a different type of video output from your graphics card. You may have to use VGA until you can get it sorted, IF you can get it sorted. This is exactly why we don't recommend using desktop or online versions of BIOS update utilities. You should ALWAYS use the BIOS update utility that is IN the BIOS. Always. No exceptions.

ASUS and MSI have even released recommendations AGAINST using their automatic update utilities in favor of using EZ flash (ASUS) or Mflash (MSI).

I've seen some cases where black screens after updating were not bricked but were simply not able to be seen using HDMI or Displayport, so try VGA or DVI if possible to see if there is any display at all.

If there is not display output no matter what kind of output you use, then it's likely your board is bricked. If you took the time to make a BIOS backup on a USB flash drive you may be able to recover it by doing the following.

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=174985.0

If the motherboard isn't bricked, wouldn't it still take any USB input like a keyboard? Right now, my keyboard isnt working but would using a USB to PS2 converter work for direct input?

So, the screen being black could be normal, if there is a display problem. Try a different cable. Try a different cable TYPE.

The fact that there are no lights on the keyboard and mouse though indicate a different sort of problem. I think it's likely that using Live update to update your BIOS resulted in it being bricked and you are probably going to either have to try what I posted above, send it in for repair which is going to cost you something or replace the board. I don't see any other alternatives.