975 chipset to support conroe??

PJ101

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
A quick question. Will the 975 chipset support conroe? I want to upgrade and was thinking of going the AMD Opteron route... However if the 975 supports conroe i could just upgrade to a pentium d 805 for 130 and later on get a conroe when i have more money... and besides it will perform better than the opteron. However if its not compatible i dont have too much time to wait on this upgrade.

Farhan

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2005
Only latest revision of intel 975 mainboards will support conroe.

"Intel has a new revision of their D975XBX desktop board currently under sampling that will support the upcoming Conroe processors. The current D975XBX boards out in the market with revision -202 will not be able to support Conroe even with a BIOS update. The new revision D975XBX rev. -301 board will do just fine with changes to the certain motherboard components."

http://www.vr-zone.com/index.php?i=3220

Baer

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
They say the latest MOBOs will but I do not think you can count on it until the chip is out. I would not base an upgrade tday on what might happem in six months, I have been dissiapointed before when doing that.

Baer

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
True but it may not be widely available until early Aug. and that is three months. I would wait for the first reviews as well as let the dust settle for a month. I expect that there will be follow on CPCs in the family anounced right after Etc. In general, while I am an early adopter with a totally new CPU comming out in about 90 days I figure 6 months to make an informed decision (or to reverse my present deiaio to go AMD for the first time) and to have availability.